head lifting/bolts streching

gedis

Member +
lads does anyone know the sighns of head lifting, i use gt3040 turbo at 1.6bar with standart headbolts and i have a feeling the head is lifting and pushing coolant out on long hard driving, car is fine for daily driving and short burst's of pedal to the matal action(30-60 seconds) i use half size civic rad

clarkytrd

Member +
Standard Headbolts??

Jesus I thought the head would have been lifted well by now!

Why didnt ya throw a set of ARP Bolts into it??

Seems savage power for stock headbolts

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
it was only a matter of time before this happened ypu spends thousands on engine mods and to tight to spend 150 quid on head bolts lol :p:p

Chris@CCM

Member +
could be ur block startn to warp pal defo check it if ur geting ur head gasket done and get some arps in there too

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Get some arp bolts in there that's for sure but aren't there people running 2bar on standerd bolts.what's the water temps on the comander say when driving round ?

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
are you running a 4e or 5e with the gt3040?
whats it spool like?

it spools like vtec lol about 5800 rpm on 5e but god its worth the wait

Get some arp bolts in there that's for sure but aren't there people running 2bar on standerd bolts.what's the water temps on the comander say when driving round ?

last time i was in the car it was 85 i think

billybob

Untrusted Seller
it spools like vtec lol about 5800 rpm on 5e but god its worth the wait

last time i was in the car it was 85 i think
Yes 85 is spot on .better to get them arp bolts in so one at a time so you can still use the gasket

J25GTi

Lifer
Surely it is better to use standard bolts than uprated ones, because at least the hg will blow before any major damage is done in the event of anything going wrong? Stronger head bolts could mean that they dont lift and something else could give in instyead?

I dont know if its true, but it was my logic anyway! lol

weakboy2

Member +
no doesnt really work like that buddy, they only stretch due to the cylinder pressures being higher than the stock bolts were specced to.

even with arp's the gasket can still fail :)

J25GTi

Lifer
no doesnt really work like that buddy, they only stretch due to the cylinder pressures being higher than the stock bolts were specced to.

even with arp's the gasket can still fail :)

Ah okay, i getcha you now! Thanks for that, repped...

Apparently not, it says ive given you too much rep, you rep whore! :p

gedis

Member +

it's sitting at about 82-85 when driving normal, when driving on wide open throtle for longer perionds of time she goes to 90 and fan kick's in then(never have to top up the water), but say doing a full evening of very hard driving she goes to 100, and needs water topped up, expansion botle gets empy and so top tank in the rad. so i just wondering can coolant be pushed out by streching bolts/head lifting? i have arp's since before christmas but never got around to fitting it. is my calculations correct 60lb/ft=82nm?

gedis

Member +
i think i found my problem, toyota fitment trd rad cap has been used on my half size civic rad(aluminium 4 core i think) and the top of it seals, but the chanel to expansion botle is left open all the time as trd caps spring isnt long enough to seal the lower part inside rads neck
anyone any coment on that? also what rad cap's are lads using running aftermarket civic rads

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
if ur running a cr of lower than 7.5:1 on a 1.2~1.4mm head gasket with dished pistons then u have no worries about the oem head bolts going.. well until u get to around 2bar..

if u have a high cr (ie close to stock cr ) engine then ur oem head bolts wont cope with that boost very well.

kon

gedis

Member +
if ur running a cr of lower than 7.5:1 on a 1.2~1.4mm head gasket with dished pistons then u have no worries about the oem head bolts going.. well until u get to around 2bar..

if u have a high cr (ie close to stock cr ) engine then ur oem head bolts wont cope with that boost very well.

kon

cr. is near enough standart, car running 1.5bar, arp's going in saturday, can you please read the post above and tell me could that be a problem

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
cr. is near enough standart, car running 1.5bar, arp's going in saturday, can you please read the post above and tell me could that be a problem

Well for the oem bolts holding 1.6bar on near to standard cr is not making life easy, so its most probably the case yes..

When u swap the oem bolts for the arp's leave then head in place & replace & tighten one-by-one so that the head doesnt move on the gasket. ;)

Kon