Help With My Brake Setup (ST185 2 POT's)

Gee

Member +
Firstly, I have:

The calipers, carriers and spacers.

th_Picture025.jpg
th_Picture026.jpg
th_Picture028.jpg

I think what I am now missing is:

Bolts from carriers to calipers?
Longer studs?
Disc's and pad's?

PLEASE ADVISE IF I AM MISSING ANYTHING ELSE

In relation to the studs, I have found some on Ebay, spec:

Stud Length: 55mm
Thread size: 12x1.5mm
Spline fitting diam: 14.3mm
Material: High tensile steel
Length extended: Approx. +13mm
Application: Most Toyotas check spline
Other info: Available in 12mm spline size

You can view the studs by clikcing here

I believe this thread size is correct (?) and the length is 55mm, will this be long enough? Also, do I need 14.3mm spline or 12mm spline?

Now in relation to the disc size, which is the correct size for the Celica ST185 JDM 2 POT?

277mm x 25mm?

Now disc's and pad's!

I really do not want any locking up issues with these 2 POT calipers, so what setup do you think I should run, considering the weight of the car?

Stock discs and stock pads?
Stock discs and uprated pads?
Uprated pads and discs?

And lastly (I think!), it is Celica pads that are run yes?

Thanks guys! :D

Ted

Member +
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will you just put these brakes on!!!!!!!!!

correct disc size for your caliper 255 x 25
you could run it for a while on std studs to check it works ok
i put redstuff pads in and it was a bit severe so std celica pads

sorry, rant over

Gee

Member +
LOL :D

Hi Ted,

How are you today? :)

I want to just buy the longer studs and not worry about it, which do I need to get within that Ebay link?

BTW, don't suppose you have a chassis number from a Celica ST185 for ordering parts?

Or did you just specify the size to Toyota?

Last edited:

Harvey

Member +
As Ted said its 255 for the ST165/ST185 import (early) Its the UK 185/late import that is 277 and single pot.

Ted, do these calipers use dff pads to the starlet? I will find out in a min myself tho im about to trial fit :)

steveep82

Member +
Gee, speaking from my experience (zep racing 280mm discs, 4 pot alloy 300zx calipers, black diamond predator pads, braided lines) I would say definately fit them, especially as you have got this far. Yes, i understand when the aus guys say you will lock up easier, and for general road use it may be over the top as its true, but the change in braking power is well well worth it for all those times you are driving in a spirited manner!!

Gee

Member +
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you using the 4 POT's now, how are you getting on with cold start and wet weather? Obviously the effects of the 2 POT's will not be as bad as yours thou??

If I do fit them, it will be with standard discs and standard pads, but is it actually the 2 pistons that cause them to lock? Will it really make any difference what disc/pad I use?

So..

I have the disc size - 255 x 25 and I will order standard pads and disc's, even thou grooved would look nicer :(

Can someone help with the extended stud size please?

Last edited:

steveep82

Member +
I use the 4 pots now, have done for the last 6 months and my gt is my daily driver, ive had the brakes lock up a couple of times but they always stop me! Cold starts are not a problem and i just drive with a bit more care in the wet like any other driver should be doing.

Gee

Member +
Have you had any close calls with spirited driving due to the brakes locking up, or when braking in instances you did not plan, like while cornering?

steveep82

Member +
No, but i dont drive like a dick on the road either haha! Honestly i cant see you having any problems, they arent that wild and running standard pads should keep them quite tame.

Gee

Member +
4 POT's on a road car with no wild driving eh ;) You gonna buy that HKS fuel rail too? :D

Only kidding mate, thanks for your help.

steveep82

Member +
haha, Yeah, honest! ;) I just mean that ive never been in a situation where ive had to be fully on the brakes mid corner! yeah im just putting in my bid for 500 quid mate, hoping for at least 20 more bling points which is the same as powers no!?

Gee

Member +
More or less yeah, one you get your Max Power sticker you will be flying mate! LOL

Ted

Member +
hi mate, sorry was trying and failing to replace a broken spring on my mondeo.
i didnt have a st185 chassis no, fensport got me pads. my old car ran on std studs and were fine. you should really fit them and see the extra performance for yourself. you wont lock up with std celica pads(starlet ones wont fit!) initial bite is similar. its only when you really hit it that its obvious the power is there, not brutal just effortless.

Harvey

Member +
Gee, just bloody fit them!

You wont be locking up all the time, you will just end up compensating on the brake pedal if necessary.

I trial fitted mine today ;)

I really didnt expect it to work out with my corsa discs....

However:

yt3hkc.jpg

yt3hka.jpg

yt3hkb.jpg

The corsa discs are perfect! And i mean perfect! You could not get a better offset! There is about 2-2.5mm gap between back of disc and carrier, and 1.5-2mm on the front!

There is however only about 1mm clearance in diameter!!! Should be ok tho, just wont know for definite until i run them.

Stupidly though, i forogt to trial fit my enkei. I think there is a strong chance it wont fit as i only have a few mm clearance with my aw11 clipers let alone these 2 pots.

But then i will be running my 16" superleggera for the summer so wont have to worry about that too much.

Only downside is the calipers are more of a mess then i realised :( The rotating slider is well siezed! I will get the gas torch out this week and free the crap up!

Pumba_GT

Member +
Harvey, what calipers are you using in the pics above? And do you know what is the diameter of the corsa disc? It seems to be a very cheap option for brake upgrading. Cheers.

Gee

Member +
Does the disc centre bore not matter when to the Celica brake setup? I don't get it :(

Anyway, what is the standard stud size guys?? I need to know so that I get long enough studs.

Last edited:

Harvey

Member +
They are ST185 2 pots at least thats what i was sold them as.

The disc if i remember right, are 256mm diameter. Think supposed to be 22mm wide, but actually measured 24 when i measured them months ago.

I had a mate who works in engineering place make me some spigot rings to mke the discs hub centric.

He made them in alloy too ;)