Here they are, 1000HP axels for my 3SGTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStarletGT

Member +
My custom axels were ready to pickup today, so i did just that.

To those that dont know, these are custom built 4140 high tensile steel axels for my 3SGTE starlet, 5 stud setup. These axels are 29.6mm, and have been nitrided. So when i build the engine to like 500HP, i wont be worried about axels breaking.

What you see before your very eyes are the custom axels VS standard celica axels.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3926760/1991-toyota-starlet

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Are the standard ones welded?
Is that why you needed the custom ones?

They look pretty good,nice workmanship

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm actually quite impressed but also disappointed at the same time! I was hoping for another comedy thread to cheer up my crap day, but to be fair that's probably the best thing you've achieved so far. As John pointed out though, you could do with getting a grove machined for each CV boot to seal into, otherwise your likely to find CV grease splattered everywhere.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Should've used titanium and saved a bit of rotational mass.:p They'll probably be the best engineered thing on the car though.... if they get fitted properly.

Rob H

Member +
he should not need em any way cos when he sets off the car will loose traction when the sump gets stuck on that dead fly on the road!!! but to be fair the look top notch but as said you need some thing to stop the CV boot sliding up and down the shaft.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Looks impressive, one of your best threads so far.
Let's hope Spuddy don't see this :p

Haha, I have some tasty ones already, hubs, inner and outer CVs and shafts, tend to find its the cvs that break more than the shafts.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
It's wasn't so much the power killing them, wheel hop was the killer. The standard units are actually very strong, even on slicks.

TheStarletGT

Member +
prob hard to see, but yep, each end has identical depht to fit the required circlips and orings to snap fit the cv inner gear once slid on the splines. I will widen the inner hole for the cv boot to slid on axel shaft accordingly. I understand what you all mean by the grooves on the axel to secure the cv boot. The thing is, they are a weak point. In this one off custom axel build, i decided that the shaft be untouched RE: No necking or grooves, unlike standard axels.

I appreciate the endorsement expressed by genuine members.

To all those haters and skeptics that said i failed on the conversion and stopped it, well look what you see infront of your eyes. Does making custom axels look like i failed or stopped the conversion. Alot of people said that the conversion was never going to work, well im sure now you will be rocked sideways.

Last edited:
It's the bottom comment that's the reason people think you might be a bit of a twat. Just accept the positivity and carry on, don't rub it in peoples faces.

Could you at least put some kind of protrusion on the shaft, like welded bead line (don't know the technical term), so the boots have a physical boundary.

weeJohn

Lifer
Could you at least put some kind of protrusion on the shaft, like welded bead line (don't know the technical term), so the boots have a physical boundary.

He is 100% right and thats good advice, the boots wont seal on a flat surface no matter what you use to clamp them. Its a problem with them material properties of the boot, not the shaft make up.

TheStarletGT

Member +
I will widen the inner hole for the cv boot to slid on axel shaft accordingly.
Just a quick update on this, the cv boots slid onto the shaft no problem, without any streching or cutting out the inner section. If they leak grease, well thats something i will look into in the distant future, somthing not a emergency to worry about. But i know what you all mean, by the grooves to secure it in place etc.

Its technically the least of my worry atm.

AdamB

Member +
If they are made from a solid piece of billet, how will having a groove in them weaken them? It has to be heat treated anyway.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Just a quick update on this, the cv boots slid onto the shaft no problem, without any streching or cutting out the inner section. If they leak grease, well thats something i will look into in the distant future, somthing not a emergency to worry about. But i know what you all mean, by the grooves to secure it in place etc.

Its technically the least of my worry atm.

No wonder your posts arent taken seriously with comments like this. So your happy to chew through CV Joints and have grease leaking all underneath the car?!! Crazy. Its something that needs sorted now, not the "distant future" and something thats easy to sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.