Hey

AdamF

Member +
Hi people,

I very spontaneously bought a 1990 mk1 ep82 this evening. Really pleased with it so far! I haven't had a car for over 5 years, here was my previous one:

I was specifically after a mk1 and lucked out with a metallic green sunroof model on gumtree. I like things quite subtle so the plan is to get some original gt wheels, lose the window tints and fix annoyances like the electric windows/sunroof not working. Its also got a noisy as hell exhaust and dump valve, I would like something a bit more civilised, not sure what my options are regarding a quiet exhaust and retaining power.

Its had a few things done to the engine which I'm not exactly sure about, taking it to a friend tomorrow to have it looked over. its running 1 bar of boost i know that much and it pulls really well.

Plan:

Find new drivers seat

Fix both window motors/cabling (whatevers stoppping them from working)

fix broken sunroof (pain right?)

Find a housing for the stereo as its currently plonked in the centre console

Lose tints/dump valve/noisy exhaust

Find original wheels

Rear passenger window is leaking a bit so that needs a look

abs light is on on dashboard, havent checked if it has the unit yet...

re-gas or remove AC

Hope you like!

fit mph clocks and fix dashboard lights

overhaul rear brakes

maybe wind boost down a bit

Im quite naive regarding these cars so let me know if any of those jobs are impossible/ a ball ache. Please feel free to stick your boot in...

Adam

ps glow panel still iights up! apologies if the pics are massive, i tried resizing them

DudFunk

Member +
Beautiful GT mate!Not many MK1's around with ABS or sunroof

Its very common to remove the Air con in the UK,NI and IRL many say its not needed and there are allot of gains to be had by doing so however it is entirely up to you!

Whatever way you decide to go best of luck mate I hope you enjoy your Starlet experience

Car deservers more pics :p

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
:rockon:Welcome AdamF looks like a nice Mk1... good choice!
If you're up for selling any of the mods then I'm all ears and will keep an eye on the Classifieds :)

AdamF

Member +
Thanks guys. I wouldn't say beautiful! its a bit tatty but I don't mind its a car I want to drive!

Will let you know Barnz if and when I sell...

Adam

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Welcome aboard bro,

Good to see another surviving mk1 in good hands. Sounds like you are following a good plan - clean her up and enjoy her!

Jay

Phil

Super Moderator
Lovely, as already mentioned great to see a mk1 getting some love.

Enjoy whatever journey you take with the car :)

and welcome to the site.

Phil

AdamF

Member +
Hey,

A little update. Had the car a month or so now, things went downhill pretty quickly.

Managed to get a few tasks done, sourced some original wheels (mk2) and removed the tints. Went on holiday for two weeks and had a good friend work on it for me. He overhauled the brakes, removed the AC, fitted an rx7 intercooler, took a look at the non working sun roof and gave the engine a proper service. I sensibly sent my turbo off to be overhauled, it came back looking great! It was bolted on, primed and proceded to last 3 seconds before over spinning, snapping the shaft and bending the blades! I wont name names as they eventually agreed to overhaul a spare turbo for free. That got bolted on today and its running sweet. Looking like a faulty rebuild not engine problems as they initially decided!

Next up is to get the windows working properly, pick up a set of original front seats for it and get a nice quiet subtle looking exhaust fitted to it.

Adam

Ps Any Starlet owners living in London zones 1-4? Feel like its just me!

Phil

Super Moderator
It's funny how seeing a car sat up without wheels on makes it really easy to love!
It's so much easier to imagine your favourite wheels just slotted on there to really set it all off :)

Good luck with it all and your quest for boot lifters

Phil

AdamF

Member +
Thanks Phil, yeah I dont think I'm the average starlet owner haha. Want it as standard looking as possible! I genuinely like how they look factory spec!

Jay

Admin
About time you got a build thread up Adam, just so as we can follow progress on the little mk1!

AdamF

Member +
I've no idea where its from Colin, its owned by the guy who's working on my car! Pretty sweet though.

Last edited:

AdamF

Member +
A little update, car is running nicely.

Had my new exhaust system fitted today, got a funny look from the guy when I asked him for it be as quiet and standard looking as possible. Heres the results:

Got some original wheel nuts so have fitted the original centre caps and FINALLY found a parcel shelf not cut for 6x9s.

Upgraded the standard dash speakers today, what a ballache!

Next up is to replace the speedo lights as a couple have died...