Hi/Lo Xenons pain in the backside! Help!!

Tobz91

Member +
Put a set in my mates EP91 on Sunday, had to switch the earth with dipped beam, when you flick over to full beam they flicker out, but when you run them off of a battery source (Wire up ballast to battery) it works without fault!

It uses two bulbs one is HID one is a standard Full beam bulb.

I had a little probe around with the multimeter and found the dipped has continuity between earth, and some other weird reading however I forget what they were!

When the original bulbs are inserted they work without fault! Also noticed now HID's are in the full beam light on the dash no longer works!

Any help wouyld be much appreciated!

weeJohn

Lifer
The ballast is being powered down when its switched over and it takes a moment to charge back up again. Is it possible to keep the ballast power supply wired through the headlight relay and only switch the output to the bulbs? You may need to fit another relay to do this.

Rob H

Member +
I had this problem with mine its because the EP91 is switched earth not positive so there is a constant 12v to the light and they are turned on and off with the negative. The only way round it would be to use relays. I went back to standard bulbs I lost interest lol.

dark_knight

Member +
HID vs. H4

that sucks that our headlights run off this kinda wiring.. & the way i was looking forward to HIDs.. :/
i guess i'll love my H4s more now.. :D

Rob H

Member +
It can be done quite easy still but its down to getting the wright kit the kits with relays should work fine a mate of mine had one on his SR and that worked fine. You get the relays from any motor factors to do the job its just a bit of messing about but it will work fine.

Tobz91

Member +
so if I put my thinking cap on and make a relay system which breaks the positive rather than the negative I should be able to fix this for him?

Thanks guys

weeJohn

Lifer
so if I put my thinking cap on and make a relay system which breaks the positive rather than the negative I should be able to fix this for him?

Thanks guys

Its possibly the headlight relay dropping out momentarily that is causing it, have a check without the HID stuff in circuit if it looses power when you switch from dipped to beam. Switching the neg or pos wont matter as the current flow to the ballast is still disrupted. Switching the output of the ballast to the bulbs through a relay is really the way to go.

Tobz91

Member +
Its possibly the headlight relay dropping out momentarily that is causing it, have a check without the HID stuff in circuit if it looses power when you switch from dipped to beam. Switching the neg or pos wont matter as the current flow to the ballast is still disrupted. Switching the output of the ballast to the bulbs through a relay is really the way to go.

Hmm, yeah, I'm not very good without drawing it out or having it infront of my wired up to understand. It's highly confusing as the negative being switched probably shouldn't make any difference to it what so ever. Hmmmm! I don't understand about switching the ballast output through a relay would it not just function exactly the same, when flickering it would bring the relay in and out quickly?

sorry!

weeJohn

Lifer
The ballast is the box that the live and neg are connected to, it should also have 2 wires that go out to the bulb holder. I would cut one of the wires that go out to the bulb and switch that through a relay. You could feed the ballast from the live from the wire that comes from the fuse for the headlights, but connect the ballast neg directly to earth. Then feed the relay coil positive from the same wire and switch the relay coil neg through the original wires to the stalk.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy lol.

A L 3 X

Member +
I've got some HID hi low bi xenons installed since buying the car, 90%of the time they flick to high and low on the stalk but occasionally don't,is this due to the earth thing?

Also why doesn't the dash light work saying its on full beam?