Hillclimb/Sprinting 2010

Gord R

Member +
Hi Guys,

I get asked alot about how my hillclimb/sprinting is going, and for pictures etc, so I thought i'd get a thread going to keep you all upto date with progress.

The thread will cover the handful of events im running this year, next year will see a larger number of events as development speeds up but a new thread will follow once we get into 2011!

Keep checking back for updates. Next planned events are:

29th August - Harewood Hillclimb
18th Sept - 3 Sisters

Thanks
Gord

Gord R

Member +
7/8/2010 3 Sisters

7/8/2010 3 Sisters LAC Sprint - 2 lapper - INTRODUCTION

3 Sisters is an excellent little sprint / karting circuit based just outside of Wigan, it gives me a little bit more room to play with than the usual tight twisty hillclimb!

The event was run by LAC/Chester MC, and although it was my second time at the venue it saw a totally different layout used. It was run over two laps and included alot of quick sections which was really suited to my current setup.

The year has seen me focus upon the turbo/induction setup as I was struggling with lag last season, so prior to this event I had a smaller core wepr intercooler fitted and designed a smaller pipe run so I was keen to see how it improved things, things looked better on the dyno for sure.

For the event I was actually running out of class due to a current debate taking place in the "1B" Road going production class I usually run in. Suspension top mounts have been the hot topic this year with the MSA and Motorclubs tightening up on the regs. The regs state that the strut must mount in the originally position and spherical bearings being banned apart from the in the top mounting. So a number of us believe are adjustable top mounts are legal, sadly the scrutineers dont see it this way, so I was moved into class "3B" Modified production. This class allows for lightweight panels, polycarb windows, stripped interiors, and trackday tyres! All abit different to the setup i usually run! Road tyres etc!

This obviously proved quite frustrating after all the work that we put into the car to run it in 1B and looked like both myself and my dad (who share drives the car with me) were going to be well off the pace of the ultra lightweight 205/106s that were in class with us!

Gord R

Member +
7/8/2010 3 Sisters LAC Sprint

7/8/2010 3 Sisters LAC Sprint - 2 lapper - HOW IT WENT

Ok, so lets set the picture, we had had a nightmare journey down with the M6 being at a standstill with massive tail backs, we had no map or sat nav and in a split minute decision decided to go cross country to try and get there! This as you can imagine took its time!

We finally arrive at the venue, and guess what its starts to chuck it down! Lovely!

We get the car unloaded and attend the drivers briefing to be told there was alot of standing water - which we obviously expected! This mixed with the previous nights kart race met there was lots of slippery wet 2 stroke covered sections of the track to go at!

PRACTICE:

The rain was still falling in typical northern fashion, and thankfully dad was first out this time not myself. I watched with great amusement as he slithered round the track, struggling to get any traction as it came on boost and something we hadnt struggled with before, massive oversteer! The nice almost bald T1-R's we run on the back were somewhat struggling in the wet.

So the time came for my first run out, it was taken somewhat steadily as I attempted to feel for some grip, my findings...there was none! We were sat bottom of the time sheets in 3B and also comparing to our usual class we were at the bottom.

Things didnt get any better on the second practice run, at least the rain had now turned to drizzle but sadly there was still no grip, dad struggling more so with his driving style and saw him have a small spin. Even on my run, taking some corners at what felt like walking pace saw the arse end throw itself out.

Although the car had been running faultlessly and did appear slightly more responsive than in the morning. Sadly though the setup in wet conditions did just not work.

TIMED RUNS

The organisers decided to call an early lunch break as the weather was heading in the right direction so we all hoped we'd have a fine afternoon and a few more timed runs to go at!

Well at first is appeared to have been a good shout, the rained had eased and although not very hot things were getting better.

First timed run out saw the car starting to find abit more grip on most of the circuit, with just one or two corners being slippery. Still had to be fairly cautious mind! Still our times had dropped massively and the car was spot on, coming on boost really strong and felt great. We were now getting within the times of the other cars in 3B, and well in the mix of the 1B times.

Next run both dad and myself were feeling very positive, lots more time to come from the car and us, top 3 finish in class looked an option. Dad went out and set a good time but listening to it as he was out on track it didnt sound quite right, needless to say I got the message as he returned to the pits "we have a missfire, see how it goes for you"

I had a great start and instantly felt alot more grip available to me, the setup was really coming into its own, was well chuffed, but as It came on boost hard in 3 and 4th down the back straight it was missing its nuts off, meaning I had to either back off or short shift, felt like I was loosing masses of time. Was very very frustrating thought the times would be all over the place. Still the run felt good and I was very very commited through the corners the diff works amazingly I can stick the car into a corner, foot the board and its pulls itself round on the diff.

Time was a very respectable 88 seconds, a huge drop from the 90 odd second run of before. Surprised alot! This put me 3rd in 3B and right near the front of 1B even with the missfire. Analysing how it was affecting me on the quick sections I was thinking it was costing me a good 2-3 seconds a run which would have put us into the lead of both classes. So from the point of view it was pleasing, the car clearly has potential with alot more development to go.

We spent alot of time between runs trying to cure the missfire sadly we didnt have the parts/tools we really needed to try and check thinks so the afternoon went downhill from there really as the weather set back in, so we took the decision to back off rather than risk bending the car.

So overall, even with all the disapointments it was pleasing to see how the car went and felt and the car clearly has the potential to be front running at 3 sisters..role on the next event!

Update on the missfire, after getting it back to the workshop, double checked the plug gaps, two were slightly out, re gapped them and shes running fine again...typical!!

PICS TO FOLLOW

Last edited:

Gord R

Member +
7/8/2010 3 Sisters LAC Sprint - 2 lapper - Pictures

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

98 Spec lower lip and black under lip to be fitted shortly!

* Pictures courtesy of AMR Photography *

Gord R

Member +
Hardcoreep - Very good. I run 215 T1-Rs on 8" rims on the front an 195's on the back. The car is totally planted, touch of oversteer which can be fairly well provoked lifting off. Even on road tyres over grip levels are good, I only really suffered from understeer when it was wet at 3 Sisters, and we just couldn't get the diff hooked up. In the dry I can get it turned in nicely then get the gas on and the diff does all the work!

Geoff, sadly footage has been limited somewhat this year there are very few people at 3 sisters for pics/vids and Im yet to get myself sorted with camera. Im hoping my next event at Harewood I should get more footage.

NEXT EVENT: 29th AUGUST - HAREWOOD HILLCLIMB

Gord R

Member +
Hi Iain,

Yeh I know of Dave, I ran a Rallye in 07 whilst the Starlet was being rebuild. I'd love to come up and compete at Doune.

LukeEP82

Member +
Fantastic right up there Gord R. I have just got back into hillclimb and sprint racing after a couple of years out, I will be competing down here in the south west (http://www.aswmc.org.uk/sprint.htm). I will be using my EP82 in the road going class A3 which looking at your reg's looks to be the same as your 1B class.

Interesting to read your problems with the scrutineers regarding top mounts, I was just about to order some coilovers from Master R and had over looked the possibility that they would not comply with 11.7.1 (suspension configuration must remain standard) I guess using the top mount to give negative camber is what there on about. But I’m with you I disagree.

I do have a question? Are you running rear ARB and have the scrutineers said any thing about that.

Any one reading this and are thinking what are they on about, check out link below and click on yearbook its really the rule book. Hill and sprint is in section 'S'
http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentCategoryView.asp?category=528

Gord R

Member +
Adjustable top mounts with NOT pass 1B regs. Certainly not under most northern champs. Harewood are a tad more "flexible" thats said! I got round it with a different set of top mounts.

I am going to Mod Prod for next season.

Gord R

Member +
Seeing as this thread has been brought back up again I thought i'd give a quick update.

The car is currently parked up in the workshop with work just starting to prepare for next season. Next seasons will see us move to modified production which allows abit more flexibility to body and suspension modifications.

The engine has just been pulled out for an overhaul and a change of heads with some porting and 5E cams.

Also have on order a non dash dodger cage with door bars and such like as dash dodgers no longer meet regs.

The cruise bumper is to again to return, as with lightweight panels/plastic windows which will be added across the course of the year.

Rory

Lifer
Im in the same boat fella's, but i cant see why they gave you problems this year as the new rule hasnt been implemented yet?
They way i read it is for next year, they wont allow any type of sypherical joint in the suspension/steering setup in the road going classes.
Seems a bit shit though as its one of the first things to change when modifying cars, hell its probably cheaper to get a set of coilovers, rather than going to Toyota for standard top mounts!!

On another note, will any of you two be competing Anglsey Sprint next year? Im going to try and get down for it.

Rory

Gord R

Member +
Hi Rory, Yes ill be there with the LDMC lot as ill be competing that championship.

Its not the bearing that is the issue, the issue has been the adjustability as its no longer in the standard position if that makes sense?, for my last two events I had a set of fixed top mounts with a rose joint in it as that for this years regs suited as it was in the so called standard position. I then regained some of my camber on the adjustment on the bottom bolt but obviously lost my castor.

Which class will you be running in?

Rory

Lifer
Aye i see how they want to put the reg in place, as its not the "standard" setup.
If its come down hard on up here, ill have to get my Ohlins serviced, the fronts are knackered, unless i just go play in the modified class :rockon:

I never had an issue with the last scottish round this year? Unless the scrutineers were letting it go, and "over looking" them

To be fair ive no idea on how the class structures work for the british rounds? Ill have to ask my cousin who competes in a single seater.
I run in class A2 up here, which is 1400cc to 2000cc road car class.

Gord R

Member +
Yeh I mainly had an issue with the main scrutineer for the LDMC championship. Ourselves and Bobby Fryers/Mark Teal in their 206 both argued it all season! Our point was the top mount locates in the top holes as standard meaning its in the standard position but LDMC argued that the centre point had moved. It was the camber/castor we had gained from it that he was whinging about. And with it looking like rose joints in the top mounts are now out for next year then we have said stuff it! And going to push on in modified class. If things go to plan this season with turbo developments and what not then for 2012 well do a bare shell build up with a full weld in cage/seam welded shell.

Harewood (BARC Yorkshire) didnt seem to argue with adjustable top mounts either this season whether they will next year i dont know.

Our classes for Northern Champs our broken down into SB (near standard) SB1-3, road going production 1A-1C, and modified production 3A-3C. With it broken down into cc classes as you are.

Which venues do you usually run at, id be interested to know what sort of engine/turbo spec you run, feel free to drop me a pm about that one! :)

Gord R

Member +
Noticed that when I read it back in the summer, that is the wording as used by LDMC and reference now made to the positioning. However unlike LDMC they do not mention rose joints being allowed in the top of the suspension strut.

This is why when I spoke to you I mentioned I was thinking for 2011 they may be totally banning rose jointed top mounts.