How tight should rear brake disc nut be?

How tight should the nut that holds in the rear brake disc and bearings in be? I cant find a torque value, but have heard it shouldnt be too tight.

Any help would be appreciated :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
best way is to kinda feel it. spin the wheel as your tightening it up, but do it slowly. you should feel the bearing start to nip up and slow the wheel down. back it off a tad.

if the bearing is cold (you havnt driven the car much or at all before tightening) then make sure you have a very small amount of play in the wheel when you hold the top and bottom of it and try and rock it (make sure wheelnuts are tight when you try this).
the small amount of play is there to alloys for expansion of the bearing when everything heats up, if its too tight you get excesive heat and bearing wear/damage).

if you are still a bit unsure get it as best you can and then take it to a decent garage, they should have a feel for what its meant to be like, its hard to explain with just words!

Cheers mate, exactly what i was looking for.

Just to make sure i understand, should i be looking for that small amount of play in the brake disc, or in the wheel when its put back on?

+Reppage

dac69er

Super Moderator
it doesnt really matter tbh mate, but tighten it up with the wheel on while spinning it if you can.

the play is easier to feel with the wheel on and nuts done up.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
As Duncan has said.

You should be able to do 99% of the turning by hand, I found I only needed a socket just for the tiny bit at the end before the bearing goes too tight.

Just check it after you've put the wheel back on (first time I did it, it had come loose whilst I was putting the wheel back on), then re-check after going for a short drive.