How to: Levin BZR Brake Upgrade

Motor

Member +
Just recently finished this upgrade and decided to post up a quick how to for members who are thinking of doing the same mod.

Parts needed;
i) Levin Calipers (twin piston off bzr shown next to painted standard Glanza Calipers)

IMG_0240.jpg

Make sure to replace pads (gives a flat surface against new flat disks) and reset pistons (remove bleed nipple and compress pistons with C-clamp)

ii) Brake disks off 2002- 2.0 D4-D Corolla (25mm thick) (shown to left of standard Glanza disks)

IMG_0241.jpg

iii) 6mm spacer; make sure to measure first (forgot to take picture of this but will put up diagram as soon as i find it)

iv) Extended wheel studs; 12 x 1.5; (got mine (+20mm) off egay; shown next to standard studs)

IMG_0288.jpg

NB: Important to get extended studs as front wheel fell off mine on way to mechanic with standard studs

v) Brake fluid

Method:
1) Remove wheel (loosen nuts with car on ground then jack up before removing fully)

2) Remove brake line from caliper (be careful of brake fluid, will strip paint off everything)

3) Remove caliper from hub (two 17mm bolts) (Easier to get at top nut if the bottom nut and bolt are removed from the shocks; just make sure to put it back on)

4) Remove standard studs from hub. Two methods can be used; i) beat out with a hammer; ii) use a pullers as shown below to slowly push out stud. (Whichever method is used make sure to soak in WD40 first as they will feel welded in)

IMG_0290.jpg

5) Now that everything is off, can begin putting the new stuff on. First is the extended nuts; will have to be slowly pulled in. I used washers and an old wheel bolt to slowly tension them into the splines. Sure there is an easier method but I just used the tools and ignorance I had

6) Slide spacer over studs

7) Brake disk is next (looks like its coming together already)

IMG_0236.jpg

8) Caliper into standard mounting points (NB: May need to grind down some of the bracket to fit around hub as shown (shinier bit in center)

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

9) Tighten everything up nice and tight (remembering the bolt from the shock)

10) Bleed brakes; good explanation in this post; http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47548&highlight=bleed+brakes Thanks to tanz

11) Refit wheel, admire your work and it's time to do endos :drive:

Any suggestions to change or add information would be appreciated; know it's far from perfect
Dylan

Last edited: