How To Remove Stubborn Sump!

Sirius75

Member +
Hey Everyone
Trying to strip down my engine so i can rebuild it and im trying to get the pistons out to see what condition they are in.....and to pinpoint exactly where my bottom end knock was coming from. Now the block is still in the car and i got underneath and took off the bolts/nuts that hold the sump on. The problem i have now is that im guessing the sump has never been taken off the engine for the whole 18 years of my cars life.....or atleast it seems that way cos the gasket sealant stuff will not break free! I've resorted to hitting the sump from every direction with a rubber mallet.....tried getting a chisel and sticking it between the block and sump and it just wont get between them.......im not really sure how else im supposed to get it off.....any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

TurboDave

Member +
Ive always used a screwdriver to get in between the sump and block and then (carefully) prise it off, they can be stubborn though...

AdamB

Member +
As said, just get a screwdriver or a prybar and wedge it between the sump and the block and just wiggle it, move it around at different points and it should pull away from the block.

Sirius75

Member +
This is the thing though....i cant get anything between the sump and the block.....i got a very thin chisel and tried hammering it between them and it would still not get in between......i dont know how im gonna get a screwdriver in between there :S

AdamB

Member +
Bit strange, must have been done up really tight. Could you not try and break the gasket up? Like knock a bit of the gasket out so you can get a screwdriver in there?

Sirius75

Member +
I can get some of the gasket thats sticking out the egdes off and thats about it......i dont think i could even stick a stanley blade through it and try and slice the gasket off......would it be safe if i was to stick something like a screwdriver into the oil return pipe and push down on it and see if levering it off that way would work?

GTti

Member +
Use a small blow torch to remove/heat some of the gasket/sealant and then attempt to prise it open at even locations.

I always find them a handy tool!

Sirius75

Member +
Use a small blow torch to remove/heat some of the gasket/sealant and then attempt to prise it open at even locations.

I always find them a handy tool!

I did actually think of this........but wasnt sure if it would of been a good idea.....mainly cos of all the oil on the engine.....will it not set alight?

GTti

Member +
Just enough to soften the seal at a few locations won't cause a problem, alternatively just heat the metal around it or the screwdriver tip.

You could put some wood against the sump and take a mallet to it, I'm sure it will eventually shift.

Sirius75

Member +
Right well i tried again with a screwdriver. Bashing it in with a hammer and slowly but surely it was going in and got it in enough to lever it off so i was happy....until i found this
PICT0135.jpg

On THREE of my pistons :O

Sirius75

Member +
was running a bar of boost on standard ct9 with FCD and RRFPR
mods are FMIC, decat, exhaust, some unknown but braced manifold, air filter relocated to the grill...cant think of anything else at the moment lol.......RRFPR was set up to run slightly richer and i doubt that would of caused THREE ringlands to go