Ignition Problem

clarkytrd

Member +
Hi Folks,

Threw a battery into the car today for the first time in 18 months lol, now I am not getting any ignition lights.

- Wipers wont work, fuse blew when turned on
- Indicators are clicking faster than normal
- NO lights from dials at all

- Hazards Work OK
- Headlights Work OK

Alarm is wired into turbo timer harness, when harness is disconnected and original ignition harness plugged in, Still getting same faults.

Any idea's as I havent a clue :p

Thanks

Anyone any idea??

clarkytrd

Member +
Ok so it turns out I'm a forgetful c**t....

It would help if the feckin dials were plugged in... :slap::slap:

Problem solved :haha:

clarkytrd

Member +
Ok another problem now, my wipers are still blowing fuses.

Is there anyway of testing the motors, or anyway of freeing them up if they are the problem??

Thanks

Texx

Super Moderator
Does the fuse only blow when you try operating the wipers? or does it blow as soon as you replace the fuse?

If you disconnect the wiper motor does the fuse still blow?

clarkytrd

Member +
It only blew when I went to operate the wipers, so do you think the motors themselves are stuck or?

Haven't got around to taking a look at the motor yet... any idea where to start?

Cheers Texx :)

Texx

Super Moderator
Unplug the wiper motor, replace the fuse and operate the switch. If the fuse doesn't blow then there's probably a fault with the motor, if the fuse still blows then there's probably a wiring fault between the switch and the motor.

clarkytrd

Member +
Right, I've tried unplugging both wiper motors and still the wiper fuse blows.

Wiper fuse only blows when ignition is turned on.... I dont have to touch the wiper switch and it still blows.

Need help asap with this.

Thanks,
John

Texx

Super Moderator
Next thing to do is disconnect the switch, replace the fuse and turn the ignition on. If the fuse still blows then you've narrowed down the fault in the wiring to be between the fuse and the switch. If the fuse doesn't blow then either the fault is with the switch (though unlikely) or the wiring between the switch and the wiper motor connector.

clarkytrd

Member +
I've disconnected both wiper motor's and the switch and it still blows when I turn the ignition on.

All the wires look perfect too, don't seem to be earthing off the body either. Really dont know what else to do to be honest.

aidan

Member +
just a thought but if you have a multimeter set it to continuety put 1 prong onto the live for the motor and the other on the body and see if it beeps

clarkytrd

Member +
Will try that John but how is that connected to the wipers.... you reckon that could cause the fuse to blow even without operating the wipers??

clarkytrd

Member +
Tried unplugging the washer bottle motor and still it keeps blowing the fuse...

Patience is running out with it now... what else can it be??

weeJohn

Lifer
Its off the same circuit and it has a direct supply from the wiper fuse to the pump motor. So with all the plugs pulled off all the motors of the front and rear wipers, the switch at the steering wheel and the washer bottle motors it still blows a fuse?

There is a short in the wiring if thats the case. Does the Glanza wiring go down the passenger wing for a bit like the UK EP91s anyone? If so there is a plug in the passenger footwell that can be disconnected to rull out or prove its in that part of the wiring.

clarkytrd

Member +
I wonder is anything else ran off the wiper fuse?? It could be something else causing it to blow and nothing got to do with the wiper loom at all.

I've rang Toyota and they are going to look through the wiring diagram and give me a call back, so hopefully I get good news!

Thanks