Import charges from UK to Ireland

I am looking in to getting coilovers for the gt but the import tax is over 200 euros anyway around this? This brexit has to be killing sales for them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224_082448_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224_082448_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4

Jay

Admin
Yeah it's a bit of a mess at the minute. Fairly sure we aren't getting the same import charges you are seeing, tell me which seller is it and I can check.

NI is seeing problems too despite being in the UK, mainland sellers are doing one of three things with us; selling as per usual without paperwork, selling properly with the correct paperwork or just point blank refusing to send to us as it's not worth their while.

SKINY

Lifer
Chilled meat coming here now needs a vets approval, madness is an understatement

If it's cheaper you could always have it posted up here then take a run up, But covid has ruined that idea with 5km travel restrictions :mad:

Jay

Admin
Hmmm, well at least they aren't hitting us with anything weird.

IDBC.jpg

So yeah, UK is foreign soil (outside the EU now) to you so you'd be getting hit with import charges. Even if I bought them and shipped them to you you'd still get hit (or I'd get in trouble with the government).

Not entirely sure how they are keeping tabs on private sales though, that's bound to be a lot harder to regulate between NI and the South.

This is going to kill alot off sales from the UK as people from outside UK won't want to pay 250+ on coilovers are ect.

Jay

Admin
Pretty much. As we have a soft border there's a bit of leeway depending on the circumstances but anything that goes by post will be logged and attract a customs bill.

Might be worth your while shopping round in a few other EU countries as you hopefully won't have to deal with that VAT element. Might limit your choices though.

It's made things more interesting for regular folk whereas I'm used to paying obscene amounts of customs charges anyway.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I was under the impression that the fees would be minimal overall?

I thought you didn't pay vat initially, then you pay vat based on the country you are in + a "small" handling fee? Please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to understand myself.

Most eu countries the vat is 20%, so you shouldn't only be paying a small handling fee to a courier company? I guess the couriers are just milking things whilst the whole system is in a mess. It's not helping anyone though.....

I am thinking off driving over to a car show in the UK in the coming year(s) so I will buy them over there and fit them the sametime :) so won't have to pay customs :)

Djaniero

Member +
@glanzadude Have you asked about on the Starlet FB groups? Usually always someone on there that has a set for sale. I managed to get mine for a steal a couple of years ago from a seller who was breaking his car, and they were hardly used. Understand if you want to buy new though :cool: