Injector question, What are you using??

mark1991

Member +
I am planning to run 2 bar on my TD05 16G and possibly a 20G, I have currently max out my 460cc denso ones.

I have looked at some 700cc injectors but are the guts of £400+ and to tell the truth i just cant throw that much cash on injectors :(

What you guys running?

BallıGee

Member +
your on the right track..

550cc will make 1.5 bar on a td05 with 700cc injectors you will see max 75% duty cycle @2bar

AdamB

Member +
It depends on the power your looking to make.
Say 400bhp, with a max duty cycle of 90% you'll need 622cc, that doesn't take into account fuel pressure. However I very much doubt you'll be able to stretch 550's that far unless you push over 4.5 bar fuel pressure which isn't recommended.

It also depends on the ecu your using as to how good the injector control is. Anything more than 550's I would be looking for a good standalone tbh.
Injectors aren't cheap either, best to spend the money on some good ones because many large injectors on small engines make them run like a bag of shit.

mark1991

Member +
Running a dastek piggy back, I had herd of that problem before. And yeah they really aint
Cheep :( I shall have to save up lol tuning developments sell 720cc and 1000cc
So may buy from them but wont be this month lol

AdamB

Member +
Speak to your tuner and find out what he recommends or what experience he's had before using large injectors on the dastek. I think 1000's are a bit overkill unless you going to be going anywhere near 450-500bhp.

Phil

Super Moderator
It gives the the mechanical element of the injector a greater rest period though.

id suggest that contrary to popular opinion an injector like our toyota parts could be tuned to top out close to 95% and theoretically if the top end of our map was 99/100% we wouldnt be causing any great harm. Especially in a street/drag car that isnt run to its limit constantly.

Phil

elison

Member +
I ran the stock injectors maxed out on 1 bar of boost for a year and did not had any issues. Was using a haltech stand alone unit.

It all comes down to the tuner.

AdamB

Member +
It's not something I would risk tbh, having the duty cycle maxed out also doesn't allow the injector to open and close quick enough, or stay open for the correct period of timing which will result in a lean mixture.

Obviously something that depends on how confident your tuner is. For me most injectors are around the same sorta price unless looking to go big, so might as well just go for the next step up if raising the fuel pressure is a no go.

Phil

Super Moderator
It's not something I would risk tbh, having the duty cycle maxed out also doesn't allow the injector to open and close quick enough, or stay open for the correct period of timing which will result in a lean mixture.

when you say maxed out you mean held at 100% for some sort of duration in the rev range. which i agree is bad. snd yes at 100% its simply wide open.

but if your running up close to 100%(but not 100%) your still within normal operation and as mentioned theoretically 100% duty cycle for a split second would be fine.

good power to be had from stock injectors, mr2 injectors etc especially if management is going to be something like a piggyback.

granted on a standalone it will be possible to pull enough fuel out of 550cc or whatever folk run, to have a reasonable tune off boost, but nasty enough with a dastek or emu etc

Phil

AdamB

Member +
Yeah if its held open for a period of time is what I ment by maxed.
I know Honda use not far off 100% duty cycle on their B16/B18 engines when at the top end of the rev range, which doesn't give any room for improvement, never done them any harm though.

elison

Member +
Thats correct. When a said maxed it i ment running it close to 100%. It all comes down to how good of a management unit you have and how good the combination of the setup and tune is.

But again that is not the best advice. Around 80% would always be piece of mind. I do have to say that the EP engine in its stock configuration is a veryyy forgiving engine if treated right.

just a little different view here
td05 16g at 2 bar??---is this turbo capable of this?? will it make any more power than at say 1.5/1.6bar??----maybe 550cc will work for the maximum efficient range of this turbo

td05 20g at 2 bar----you will need the bigger injectors like you mentioned