Insured by Admiral ? Think again.....

sdutton007

Member +
My insurance was due to run out on the 10th September so I phoned my insurance company (Admiral) up to renew it and give payment details. Since then I have been driving around like normal.

Last Friday, I noticed that they had not taken payment so checked my car on the Motor Insurance Database - it was not insured! So I had been driving around for 2 weeks uninsured!?

So I phoned Admiral back up, had a long argument about why my car is not insured, and made them insure my car with immediate effect.

The thing that bothers me though is if I'd been pulled over, I would have got 6-8 points, and had my car impounded at great cost - all because Admiral are useless gits who don't know what they're doing (I have been having a lot of problems with them recently about my car being rammed 3 months ago that they have done absolutely nothing about so far!!!!!). They would have denied all responsibility and I'd have been up shit creek!!!

According to the law, it is MY responsibility to make sure I'm insured... what am I supposed to do? Say to admiral "Am I insured??? Are you sure? Sorry I don't believe you - can you fax me the insurance certificate, full documentation that you are authorised to insure vehicles, along with the managing director's birth certificate and bank records for the last 5 years...." ???????????

Is there anything I can do about this? I could have been completely screwed over if they police had run any sort of check on my car!!! And for all I know, I could still receive something through the post in the next few weeks if my car has been seen on any ANPR cameras!

Rory

Lifer
Everytime i renew my insurance i get them to email my certificates through there and then, and i usualy dont hang up until i get them ;)

Still a crap situation you are in though. Move away from them and go to someone that knows about insurance.

weeJohn

Lifer
They are all cunts, not just Admiral. They make sure the money for the policy gets to them as fast as possible but its a different situation when you need anything back off them and dont want to use the usual shower of shite that have contracts with them for recovery, repairs or lease.

It is your responsibility to ensure its up to date but, so basically they will say they sent you the reminder and if there was not an automatic renewal declaration, then it was your fault.

sdutton007

Member +
They are all cunts, not just Admiral. They make sure the money for the policy gets to them as fast as possible but its a different situation when you need anything back off them and dont want to use the usual shower of shite that have contracts with them for recovery, repairs or lease.

It is your responsibility to ensure its up to date but, so basically they will say they sent you the reminder and if there was not an automatic renewal declaration, then it was your fault.

I had the automatic renewal turned off because Admiral pissed me off so much.

I specifically told them (on the 8th september) to renew my policy, gave them payment details and everything - what more can I possibly do?

Jay

Admin
After a small incident with Quinn Direct I have always been quite fussy on receiving and examining the certificate of insurance as soon as possible. If you didn't receive your certificate alarm bells should be ringing.

Rory has the right idea, best to be tuned in when it comes to dealing with an insurance company. Would they screw you over just to save a few quid? Damn right they would - Be safe people.

sdutton007

Member +
After a small incident with Quinn Direct I have always been quite fussy on receiving and examining the certificate of insurance as soon as possible. If you didn't receive your certificate alarm bells should be ringing.

Rory has the right idea, best to be tuned in when it comes to dealing with an insurance company. Would they screw you over just to save a few quid? Damn right they would - Be safe people.

True, I'll have to make sure I get the insurance certificate by email before I hang up in the future. It sucks that we are FORCED to use shit companies who can't do anything right to be allowed on the road......

Btw, your picture looks like you encountered the same hit-and-run navara-driving cunt that I did !!!

Paul-r33

Fresh Recruit
If you called them they will have a recording of the original call and if the guy said you were insured then admiral would have to honour you with back dated insurance to the date of the call. The reason I know is because admiral done the exact same thing with me and I had a argument for an hour at the side of the road and they had to dig out the old call but it's amazing how the attitude of the police change when it's not you at fault.

sdutton007

Member +
If you called them they will have a recording of the original call and if the guy said you were insured then admiral would have to honour you with back dated insurance to the date of the call. The reason I know is because admiral done the exact same thing with me and I had a argument for an hour at the side of the road and they had to dig out the old call but it's amazing how the attitude of the police change when it's not you at fault.

I have done and they are looking into it (presumably when they have time between screwing other customers over...)

You're extremely lucky - the law says it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are insured regardless of whether the insurance company has told you that you are insured.....

Also, if you let your mate (who tells you that he's insured to drive your car) drive it, and he's not insured - YOU get 6 points and a fine.

And don't get me started on the complete con known as SORN...

Don't you just love how retarded the law is and how it is intentionally designed to screw innocent people.

Paul-r33

Fresh Recruit
I know and it was just a stole of luck I remembered the call handlers name.

But as far as I was aware i was insured and as the call was recorded I had no reason to doubt it but from now on I always ask for a email copy of the certificate at least

weeJohn

Lifer
I had the automatic renewal turned off because Admiral pissed me off so much.

I specifically told them (on the 8th september) to renew my policy, gave them payment details and everything - what more can I possibly do?

I read your original post wrong mate, its a massive fail on their part.

Ted

Member +
admiral really pissed me off a few years ago= was on their ten month policy(after ten months get a full years no claims!) only when i went to move company some others wouldnt honour half of the no claims i had built up. sneaky way of keeping you with them.

see they are at it again with their new 'multicar' policy. so easy, just one renewal for your whole family! only guess what happens if you try to move? bet only one person keeps their no claims, very clever.

AdamB

Member +
Touch wood i've never had any problems with admiral so far. But my dad had the same problem with his 600bhp skyline not being insured, but this was with adrian flux!
I always get them to email me a copy of the certifcate, print it off and put it in the glovebox of the car, just until I recieve the proper copy through the post.

GlanzaDAN

Fresh Recruit
Similar thing happened to me with Quinn. I changed my insurance when I got a new car and thought nothing of it. Got a phone call off them a week later saying they had insured me on the wrong car :s. they had misheard one of the characters (despite me giving it to them phonetically) and id been insured on a different car for the week.

George611

Member +
Admiral are useless!...i was insured last year with them then explained i was taking the car off road during the winter to rebuild the engine and if they could keep all the details on the system untill summer when i brought it back out they said no problem, still insured with them on my corsa aswell so the multicar policy was still running. 8months later i phone them to insure it they tell me it isnt possible because the MOT had run out..which is bollocks you dont need MOT to insure a car..them they tell me i cannont be insured on it as the underwriters turned it down (i have 2years no claims never claimed before), left it with them to talk about i then get a phone call from a manager saying i was rude and using offensive language to his staff!! which is utter coblers! didnt raise my voice once or swear...they finally agreed to insure me until my policy ran out in 4month time at an aditional charge of £2100 on top of the £1500 i was already paying....politly told him to shove it up his arse n went to SKY insurance who insured me no problem 1500quid all mods declared......conclusion admiral are a useless bunch of C**ts, when my policy runs on the corsa will probably go to sky for that aswell alot better customer service.

Nickzorz

Member +
The worst one is what happened to my better half (but i dont think it was admiral) She saw her dream car, rang up and got a quote before she bought it to make sure she could afford it (a sensible thing to do imo) yup she could easily afford it.

So we looked at it, bought it on the spot but left it with the owner whilst I drove her home to go get insured and what does the operator tell us "we cant insure the car as it hasnt been insured for x amount of time" (3 months i think it was) so had to find a quote for a similar price which was hard until adrican flux came to the rescue and managed to undercut the price by £20 or so.

And whoever brought up the sorn thing....It is a joke...if your car isnt insured it must be sorn (i think its some garbage like that). Im in a really bad situation with my second car that lives in the garage. I occasionally have to get my car in there cos its flat and level. So to get my glanza in there i have to

Take glanza off drive and park on the road for a moment
Take proton out of garage and park accross next doors drive
Put glanza in garage
put proton on drive

Now the bit that really grinds my gears is the fact that for those 5 minutes the proton that is sorn with no mot or insurance, a police officer could quite happily drive past and rinse me for all I've got. I dont expect for a second they would even try seing my point of view.

I also feel sorry for people who dont have a drive or garage and cannot afford a renewal and have no choice but to keep it parked next to the curb and not use it and get royally butt rushed for it.

As insurance companies go E-car and adrianflux have been my favourites as They have never let us down.

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
It's ridiculous. A friend of mine got away with the points as the police were sympathetic with the same story as you. I think that was admiral too.

He had to phone them at the roadside and insure the car.

gv1.3

Admin

couldnt agree more. For the most part Quinn have been good to deal with but I had an incident with them before that makes me extra cautious at renewal time.

When I first insured my glanza with them it was listed on my policy as a Glanza V Turbo. I went ahead and renewed the following year and when I received the certificate it was listed as "Glanza". Now... you go have an accident in that car and ring them up and they send an assessor out and guess what "it wasnt listed as a V (turbo)".

I called them up and had them reissue the certificate with the correct model listed.

Be careful!

sharpy

Fresh Recruit
I had bother with Elephant there sister company as well! what website did you use to check you were insured?