is this camshaft fixable?

gedis

Member +
can some one tell me if this cam repairable?

DSC01465.jpg

worn camshafts are rewelded and then reground to the profile that you specify. after they are surface hardend to the orignal specs

that looks like alot of wear(but is repairable), i am guessing a stuck or sticking valve?

gedis

Member +
worn camshafts are rewelded and then reground to the profile that you specify. after they are surface hardend to the orignal specs

that looks like alot of wear(but is repairable), i am guessing a stuck or sticking valve?

posibly sticking valves or wrong clearences, its only on cylinder 1, both valves though, do you know where can it be done

dont know about ireland but there is plenty of places in the uk, in fact one of my mates dad could probibly do it, he recently made his son some reground cams, il phone him tommorrow if you want then il email your pics to him to see what he says.

are they cruise cams?
264deg

Last edited:

gedis

Member +
dont know about ireland but there is plenty of places in the uk, in fact one of my mates dad could probibly do it, he recently made his son some reground cams, il phone him tommorrow if you want then il email your pics to him to see what he says.

are they cruise cams?
264deg

yes its cruise 264, please find that out for me

will try my best mate, it will probibly be expensive as it is a precision job. cruise cams are already regrinds from new so that might add to the difficulty as theyre already quite weak, well weaker than billets anyway.

give me a till tommorrow night i should have a awnser for you:)

hes not got back to me yet mate, he did say he couldnt do it but he say he might be able to get a quote for it. il go phone him now:)

sorry mate he didnt have time to do it today he said he would do it first thing tommorrow, so il reply as soon as i get home from work.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
posibly sticking valves or wrong clearences, its only on cylinder 1, both valves though, do you know where can it be done
an already reprofiled cam is very difficult to fix as the material composition used by cruise is not known, hence fof the engineer to fix the cam is not simple...
imo its a very risky choice to reuse a damaged reprofiled cam.

the problem ur talking about is something weve come across recently locally... the cruise springs on some 4e's when installed come with too much base pressure, (for no apparent/obvious reason) .. one of my mates lost 4 sets of cams this way.. recently we found out the problem was the spring base pressure.. in fact on the 4e, to safely use cruise valve springs with any form of uprated cams (including 5efhe cams) you need to lower the base pressure, as you can risk destroying many sets of cams, possibly even cracking one in half.

What you need to do is either dig under the spring seat (which is pretty dangerous as there only is 5mm of material) or buy a set of modified retainers, which lower the base pressure by having a modified lock position for the valve locks to sit.

If ud like a set let me know, we have billet ones in stock., which are being sold like hot cakes locally, as before everybody used to destroy cams, left right and centre..

Kon

i think you would be better getting a new set, as they are only going to be weaker after welding and grinding is done, also if these have done alot of miles the chances are the other lobes are worn as well, just not noticable(.2mm etc). if so this will make it a nightmare to get them all the same lift. this is going to cost a bomb mate not worth it. get a set of ivan or kent cams(regrinds also) and they also repair cams if you want to enquire.

il see what he say anyways

HYBRID

Changing the cams wont solve the problem though, probably due to the extra lift the spring is gathering so much pressure that its causing extra stress on the lobes, which in turn causes the cam to wear much quicker...

unless the base pressure and spring travel is measured, and if there is too much tension the spring needs to be "loosened" .. otherwise this situation may very well happen again unfortunately.

kon

gedis

Member +
Changing the cams wont solve the problem though, probably due to the extra lift the spring is gathering so much pressure that its causing extra stress on the lobes, which in turn causes the cam to wear much quicker...

unless the base pressure and spring travel is measured, and if there is too much tension the spring needs to be "loosened" .. otherwise this situation may very well happen again unfortunately.

kon

can you pm me a price of them retainers

kon

i agree mate, and this would be highlighted more on regrinds, get some good valve spring and some billet retainers, and get the spring pressures set up properly. cruise springs tend to be quite hard hrf or hyabusa dumplex springs are perfect

gedis

Member +
i agree mate, and this would be highlighted more on regrinds, get some good valve spring and some billet retainers, and get the spring pressures set up properly. cruise springs tend to be quite hard hrf or hyabusa dumplex springs are perfect

i was looking at busa springs alrite, is it early model ones fit or late model? thei actualy do uprated ones for busa and then dual ones too, all this is very confusing to me :haha:

HYBRID

agreed.. before we had the retainers made up.. uprated camshafts, both billet & regrinds used to die in a matter of a few 100kms, some even less.. now after applying the negative retainers, the cams are safe to be used on the 4e :D

kon

HYBRID

i was looking at busa springs alrite, is it early model ones fit or late model? thei actualy do uprated ones for busa and then dual ones too, all this is very confusing to me :haha:

stick with the retainers and the cruise springs, you wont regret it mate.. the busa springs to be used are the double ones which require the valve spring chamber to be knotched as they are not a direct fit..

kon