ISP Providers cracking down

Whats peoples views on the top 6 ISP providers going to be sending out warning letters to people whom download music illegally off the internet??

It seems to be pointing mainly towards music downloads, even though you can DL games, films etc etc but there far harder to convert etc than what music is, also the fact most films that are released are piss quality that ud rather wait for proper dvd or go to the cinema??

It reckons only warning letters will be sent out at first with further sanctions happening further down the line when the governemt, music industry and ISP decide whats to happen..

I personally see a lot of people changing ISP as this will be a change in TERMS of contract due to people getting sent letters as theres nothing stating what you can or cant download, then there will be something along the lines of human rights/data protection as the music industry will be pressuring the ISP's to give them details of anyone who is file sharing..

Opinions?

starbogt

Member +
Whatever happened to this world there's no freedom anymore to do whatever you want. If they are going to restrict everythng then they should reduce the prices of broadband etc to next to nothing a month like what it costs the providers. Then if people want to download then make them pay extra. At the end of the day the music indutries and film industries aren't losing out its just a front to get more money from the people who download by court judgments etc. All the industries are run by business men and they have found another money making scheme.

Yeah there just fat cats wanting to make more than they already are and it just shows that there LOSING if they have to go to the government & ISP's to ask for there help.. I dont see a problem with people D/L stuff, hald the artists these days have there songs on there MySpace, Youtube etc.. McFly (Im not a fan) gave there album away free last weekend in the sunday paper and was it radiohead that done it few months back as well?? Oasis were asked to do the same but replied "NO CHANCE, WE DIDNT BUILD THESE PLUSH STUDIOS FOR NOTHING"..

Fcuk them

ChrisGT

Member +
Whatever happened to this world there's no freedom anymore to do whatever you want. If they are going to restrict everythng then they should reduce the prices of broadband etc to next to nothing a month like what it costs the providers. Then if people want to download then make them pay extra. At the end of the day the music indutries and film industries aren't losing out its just a front to get more money from the people who download by court judgments etc. All the industries are run by business men and they have found another money making scheme.

Its illegal. There are places where you can legally download films/music but at a cost. Downloading pirated DVD rips is illegal mate, no getting around that! And I reckon they are losing out; most people I know now go "Oh yeah that new movie just came out on DVD yeah? I better get torrenting!". I'm sure DVD sales must be down, maybe not a huge amount but enough to piss them off!

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
It Seems like monitoring what content people are or are not looking at on the internet may be verging on invasion of privacy. you may want to check your terms and conditions that you ageed to when you signed up for broadband.

gv1.3

Admin
I dont think the arguement that this is infringing on anyones rights holds water. I mean it is illegal. The reason people are going to get so pissed off about it is because for the "bebo" generation they have never known the Internet without free downloads of music, for the older amongst us its probably something we started doing using DCC file sharing on IRC chatrooms many years ago.

I think the bisggest problem is that this hasnt been tackled earlier. Now some people think you are taking away their RIGHT to do something. Be realistic when you handle pirated music you are breaking the law. You are getting access to a product that other people pay for, just because you didnt go into HMV and steal it you are not innocent.

The truth of the matter is that the companies that produce music these days are huge organizations and make huge profits but the selection of music they offer is huge also - go into a tower records or similar and you are able to come out with different types of music from many different countries and this is all put there for you by sonymusic and others, someone has to pay for it.

The advent of online shopping has all but wiped out the smaller local video stores as there are decreased overheads for the likes of play.com but is this a good or bad thing?
If things continue as they are and it becomes the norm to go and freely download ANYTHING you want where does it end? I mean that puts organisations in a very stciky situation. The shops that sell the stuff close, the people who work there are out of jobs, the people who stock the shop have no work, the warehouse shuts, the manufacturing plant closes, the online stores close - eventually when you get a bit further up the chain you reach the producers like sonymusic and they are left with noone to produce for?

The above chain is what is driving these organisations to put pressure on ISP's to control their users. Personally I just think the next wave of file sharing applications will use industry standard enryption techniques and the ISP's wont know what you are downloading anyway so file sharing will never be stopped.

They have tried to tackle it from the other side by closing down the distributors of torrents etc but you just have to look at the likes of the pirate bay who publicly fight the laws and are still in operation.

I think when there are online services such as those mentioned above which allow you download and pay then you are making a concious decision when you choose not to pay, that is up to the individual.

As for changing the terms of your contract with your ISP, most ISP terms and conditions (Ive been involved in writing a couple) will state that that "The service must not be used for the purpose of promoting or engaging in illegal activites" and usually it is at the discrection of the ISP how "illegal activities" is defined. My old ISP offfered a dialup service called "NOlimits" and it was a flat monthly rate for unlimited off-peak service. When I had a dialer set to connect at 6pm and disconnect at 8am on a machine thats sole purpose was to download they called me up and said I was using it too much. Now that was a legal pickle for them as they were the ones who called it "NOlimits" not me... anyhow I digress...

I ultimately believe that if you choose to break the law you cant really moan about it when you get caught or when someone trys to stop you. Its much like speeding in my eyes.. Im not saying Ive never went over the speed limit.. but if I got caught I cant really complain and if they put loads of police out to enforce the law then I cant complain about that either as for ordinary law abiding citizens this is a non-issue.

I usually try look at these types of issues from the point of view of the people that will be effected. If you think by downloading a few songs and films you are effecting the "fat cats" think again. They will be the last to go if things get really bad - you are taking away sales from stores and ordinary people, just like you and I, will be the first to go.

D

Hey Montana no doubt its illegal, just like I am sure not everything that you have done in life is legal, so lets no go on about saying oh its illegal give everyone the life sentence..

Im sure there are more important things in life to get on with than people downloading films, games, music etc..

Personally, i think its absoutly pants.. Its going to be selective it think aswell, the ISPs are going to say yes we will find out whos downloading say albums made by EMI or sony - why? becuase there paying us the most money to do this! .. so i dont think it will happen with every song, artist and record label.. I kind of think its a good idea, only becuase someone somewhere is going to make a program better and faster to download music.. e.g. file sharing program with built in proxy etc..

What i would like to know is HOW this isp's are gaining information on what songs we are downloading.. for example, is someone named it - my record1.mp3, and linked to it on a website as Linkin Park - Together we made it.mp3 .. will it only look at the name of the track or does it actually analyze the packets being recived by the client and inteligntly works out what it actually is.. Hmm.. its deffro food for thaught!

gv1.3

Admin
Hey Montana no doubt its illegal, just like I am sure not everything that you have done in life is legal, so lets no go on about saying oh its illegal give everyone the life sentence..

Im sure there are more important things in life to get on with than people downloading films, games, music etc..

sorry J I dont agree with that view... by your reckoning we should prioritise crimes ... murder is more extreme then rape so we will remove all the police from rape cases and get them to assist in outstanding murder cases?

just because a particular law doesnt seem very important to you it doesnt mean its not important to me.

A law governing people throwing rocks at your windows is only something you will care about when there is someone throwing rocks at YOUR windows.

Beaker

Member +
I think its totally correct. Basically musicians are loosing alot of money. Youngsters today think that you should be able to hear a song and then get it immediatly for free. If you invented something, you should get paid when people buy/use it. Same should go for musicians. Having said that, there are less and less proper groups, its all a computer and a sampler. Thats not being a musician, its being a programmer.
Its theft and should be illegal.

starbogt

Member +
I think its totally correct. Basically musicians are loosing alot of money. Youngsters today think that you should be able to hear a song and then get it immediatly for free. If you invented something, you should get paid when people buy/use it. Same should go for musicians. Having said that, there are less and less proper groups, its all a computer and a sampler. Thats not being a musician, its being a programmer.
Its theft and should be illegal.

Real musicians are about music not the money.... A lot of artists think the publicisty is great the skint ones moan lol. Everyone will have a view on this but not one person will be correct.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I personally see a lot of people changing ISP as this will be a change in TERMS of contract due to people getting sent letters as theres nothing stating what you can or cant download, then there will be something along the lines of human rights/data protection as the music industry will be pressuring the ISP's to give them details of anyone who is file sharing..

Opinions?

The data proctection thing will be piss to get around, look at how many companies already LEGALLY sell your details to other company. Even the coucils sell details to businesses legally.

With regards to it being a change of terms I disagree, although there may not be any reference to what you can and can't download I'm pretty sure there will be a clause stating that the end user may not use the service for any illegal activities, which downloading copyrighted materials will come under.

Beaker

Member +
Real musicians are about music not the money.... A lot of artists think the publicisty is great the skint ones moan lol. Everyone will have a view on this but not one person will be correct.

Not true,
Its totally wrong to steal music, download movies etc. You are supposed to pay for the right to listen/watch music or films. Why do you think you should get them for free.

SupaStu

Member +
Just on a side note here, its funny how they get involved in checking downloads when music/films/money is the issue. You dont see them sending letters to fucking paedos for downloading illegal stuff!

Because theres no money in that...

This country is going to turn out like Demolition Man, you cant even swear in public without there being a law.

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
I'm dloading games, films and music right now, **** 'em! If it's decent, I buy it. :)

I don't download games/films. But I download a lot of music, and if I like it I go out and buy the album. I'd never buy any music if I didn't check out the music on the albums first!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
you could always go to a music shop listen to the album and buy it if you like it :) hopefully we dont have any bullshit like this here!