Juddering Problem :(

Hi guys, my ep82 has recently developed a problem that i fear may be quite bad. Ive had it about a month and a half and used to run it on unleaded, until about 2 weeks ago when a mate said i should be running it on superunleaded.
So i made the change, and i noticed the increase in performance and mpg. But then the car started juddering... It judders when i try to accelerate really quickly, and also if revs drop to about 1200rpm in 2nd and bout 1300 in 3rd and try to accelerate briskly...the whole car shakes a bit, likes its rockin back and forth.
also, i can feel slight vibration in the clutch pedal if i push it down by 1 or 2 cm. Again, this is most noticeable during acceleration. its not very noticeable and you cant hear it, but i just noticed it one day.

If anyones got any feedback, or someones had similar problems and knows how to sort it, id really appreciate it man.
o yeh, i also need to use it to commute about 40 miles a day, how bad is this?

Tomi

dac69er

Super Moderator
have you tried an ecu error code check? also, when was the last time the car was properly serviced? fuel filter, plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm?

does the car start and idle ok? does this problem only happen when cold,warm or all the time!?

could be driveshaft or gearbox related if you can feel it through the clutch pedal

Fuel cut would be my guess.

ok... not quite sure what that means. does this mean too much air going in? how is it sorted?

have you tried an ecu error code check? also, when was the last time the car was properly serviced? fuel filter, plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm?

does the car start and idle ok? does this problem only happen when cold,warm or all the time!?

could be driveshaft or gearbox related if you can feel it through the clutch pedal

No i havnt tried ecu error code check. not sure when it was last properly serviced either so i will have to do that pretty soon. I checked the plugs n they were fresh, n changed oil but thats it .
the car starts fine, but it idles at about 1100rpm, been meaning to adjust this as i bought the starlet workshop manual.
the juddering happens pretty much any time the car is pushed hard or when revs get low.

garo

Member +
Might be a bit obvious, but its woth a try....
Could be your clutch on the way out, does it happen when you pull away from a standing start? going up hills at low revs?
Simple test is apply the handbrake, with the engine running, put the cluth in, select fourth gear. Slowly let the cluth out, if the car stalls clutch still has plenty of life.

GTEP82

Member +
surely the clutch is vibrating cos the plate will b spining wi revs on so holding it down slitely wi cause A vibration no!! but i do reckon fuel cut or new clutch

Gryzor

Admin
http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/a/TS_eng_hesitate.htm

1. Dirty air filter.
The Fix: Replace the air filter.
2. The spark plugs may be dirty or worn.
The Fix: Replace spark plugs.
3. The ignition wires may be bad.
The Fix: Inspect and replace ignition wires.
4. Ignition system problems.
The Fix: Check distributor cap or rotor[/link">. Ignition module may be bad.
5. You may have water in the gasoline.
The Fix: Drain the gas tank and flush with fresh gas and refill. (Generally not a DIY job)
6. If you have a carburetor (all 3 of you), you may have a bad accelerator pump or power circuit.
The Fix: Replace accelerator pump or replace carburetor.
7. The fuel filter may be clogged.
The Fix: Replace the fuel filter.
8. Your catalytic converter may be clogged.
The Fix: Replace catalytic converter.