just had my quaife and fidanza fitted but..........................?????

96v

Member +
finally got my car back from having the above fitted, but it for some reason doesnt seem to feel right :confused: feels kind of juddery on the odd occasion and sometimes you get the odd very very faint 'knocking' noise :confused:

when having these kinda of things fitted, is it still sposed to drive like a normal car or because the parts are leaning towards the track side of things it has more of a 'raw' feel about them????? :confused:

danb87

South East England Area Rep
haven expericnced the quaife myself, but a cusco diff is very knocky, an my current kaaz diff is slightly noisey on lock but works a treat. plus ive only had used units so no bedding in for me unfortunatly

96v

Member +
Did you do the figure of 8s to "bed-in" the quaife?

i didnt fit the quaife mate, plus it was used anyway so would have bedded in by now :)

haven expericnced the quaife myself, but a cusco diff is very knocky, an my current kaaz diff is slightly noisey on lock but works a treat. plus ive only had used units so no bedding in for me unfortunatly

tis a strange one really, i think i read somewhere that a quaife is sposed to be quiet which is what worries me

thefalls

Member +
Friend of mine fitted a Kaaz lsd,used, and it clunked for while till a few hundred kms.

So a used one does clunk :)

Then after sometime it became very quiet,only showing it presence when you needed it.

x2 mate my cusco diff is knocky but i love it best mod to the car buy far

A quaiffe atb works completely differently to a kaaz lsd which is a plate diff, the kaaz diff will clunk if tiny metal fragments get in between the plates which can cause the discs to wear unevenly which causes the clunking(this is also one of the reasons why an lsd requires regular oil changes as opposed to the quaiffe which doesn't), the figure of eights is to smooth the plates so they are worn evenly at the start of its life which minimizes clunking, you shouldn't have that problem with a quaiffe

mickyboy

Member +
What gear box oil have you used? also did you have the bearings replaced on the difff for new ones? as i understand thats one of the things that sould be changed if useing a second hand diff in as you can not be sure how many miles its done!!

96v

Member +
Friend of mine fitted a Kaaz lsd,used, and it clunked for while till a few hundred kms.

So a used one does clunk :)

Then after sometime it became very quiet,only showing it presence when you needed it.

lol, i hope thats the case with mine :confused:

96v

Member +
A quaiffe atb works completely differently to a kaaz lsd which is a plate diff, the kaaz diff will clunk if tiny metal fragments get in between the plates which can cause the discs to wear unevenly which causes the clunking(this is also one of the reasons why an lsd requires regular oil changes as opposed to the quaiffe which doesn't), the figure of eights is to smooth the plates so they are worn evenly at the start of its life which minimizes clunking, you shouldn't have that problem with a quaiffe

thats what i heard, as the quaife is a helical type lsd even if it was new it would be fine to just put in the box and away you go, no 'figure of 8' etc required so the only thing i can think is that maybe it hasnt been installed very well? :confused:

What gear box oil have you used? also did you have the bearings replaced on the difff for new ones? as i understand thats one of the things that sould be changed if useing a second hand diff in as you can not be sure how many miles its done!!

i used fuchs syn 5 mate which was what i got recommended by oilman :) and it had all new toyota bearings before being put into my box, i also had 2 new driveshafts and the new fidanza so when i got it back i was expecting it to be mint, but im a little dissappointed with how it feels, doesnt feel like everyone has made it sound like it should :confused:

Rory

Lifer
Something isnt right.
there is no need to bed in the Quaiffe as its a helical LSD.
Sounds like a shaft hasnt been installed properly, or something is slack.

96v

Member +
Something isnt right.
there is no need to bed in the Quaiffe as its a helical LSD.
Sounds like a shaft hasnt been installed properly, or something is slack.

hmmmmm thats what im thinking it might be! what about the diff not being shimmed up properly? or would that not cause it to be juddery? surely a shaft is a simple push in kinda job no? im starting to lose faith, my new drivetrain has cost over 2k and it still isnt right!!!!!

mickyboy

Member +
Hmm Dose it only knock when you are giveing it beans? orr even when you just come on boost? might be a silly thing to think about but have you uprated your engine mounts? just the stock ones are the shits and my old glanza knocked at times and it turned out it was the gearbox mount!! also track rod ends can knock if they are old as the hills and can sound like its comeing from the shaft/box!!..just a few other thoughs lol

Rory

Lifer
when is it knocking? All the time or at set speeds, turns etc?

finally got my car back from having the above fitted, but it for some reason doesnt seem to feel right :confused: feels kind of juddery on the odd occasion and sometimes you get the odd very very faint 'knocking' noise :confused:

when having these kinda of things fitted, is it still sposed to drive like a normal car or because the parts are leaning towards the track side of things it has more of a 'raw' feel about them????? :confused:

This could be a possibility. Engine mounts could be slack or as below, worn.
Hmm Dose it only knock when you are giveing it beans? orr even when you just come on boost? might be a silly thing to think about but have you uprated your engine mounts? just the stock ones are the shits and my old glanza knocked at times and it turned out it was the gearbox mount!! also track rod ends can knock if they are old as the hills and can sound like its comeing from the shaft/box!!..just a few other thoughs lol

There are many various thicknesses of shim and the fit has to be 'just' right.
If the Quaife hasn't been shimmed properly (the wrong thickness) then the diff will be slack inside the gearbox and will move about.

I run a Quaife myself with trd mounts (over 2 years) and had my mechanic purchase a good range of shims so that the ideal size could be found.
At the time it wasn't possible to determine the exact size needed, just standard size is too vague.

Just one of many factors of what could be the slack feeling you are experiencing in your drivetrain.
Look into everything with the least expensive parts first as it could be something small that needs replacing.
Check engine mounts, lower arm and other suspension bushes, wheel bearings and make sure all nuts and bolts are tight underneath the car.
A 'slight' knock can occur in an EP very easily and at anytime let me tell you...

The Quaife is silent and you wouldn't know it was there until it grips when needed. General handling and road feel is also improved.
A far from 'raw' feeling if you like.

A good starting point would be to discuss the quality of work that has been done with whoever fitted the parts in the first place as you should still have a leg to stand on and go from there.

Good luck

Joz

Last edited:

96v

Member +

when giving it beans, i cant hear a knock over the noise of the turbo/exhaust lol so am unsure of that mate :S but it does knock when just doordling along slowly on the odd occasion! all gearbox/engine mounts have been replaced with powerflex ones so they should be fine, havent changed the track rod ends so that is possible

96v

Member +
when is it knocking? All the time or at set speeds, turns etc?
This could be a possibility. Engine mounts could be slack or as below, worn.
it seems to knock all the time when going slow, when giving it beans as said, i cant hear over the exhaust noise and when cold from 3rd gear onwards it feels juddery :confused:
all engine mounts/gearbox mounts have been changed aswell, lol :mad:

There are many various thicknesses of shim and the fit has to be 'just' right.
If the Quaife hasn't been shimmed properly (the wrong thickness) then the diff will be slack inside the gearbox and will move about.

I run a Quaife myself with trd mounts (over 2 years) and had my mechanic purchase a good range of shims so that the ideal size could be found.
At the time it wasn't possible to determine the exact size needed, just standard size is too vague.

Just one of many factors of what could be the slack feeling you are experiencing in your drivetrain.
Look into everything with the least expensive parts first as it could be something small that needs replacing.
Check engine mounts, lower arm and other suspension bushes, wheel bearings and make sure all nuts and bolts are tight underneath the car.
A 'slight' knock can occur in an EP very easily and at anytime let me tell you...

The Quaife is silent and you wouldn't know it was there until it grips when needed. General handling and road feel is also improved.
A far from 'raw' feeling if you like.

A good starting point would be to discuss the quality of work that has been done with whoever fitted the parts in the first place as you should still have a leg to stand on and go from there.

Good luck

Joz

i did speak to the mechanic and ask him about the shims and he said he has some so that was kind of the last we spoke about it, as said, all engine/gearbox mounts have been changed so should be fine but havent changed any of the suspension bushes so i might try that but even then that doesnt explain the fact my car never did this before it went in :confused: which im guessing then questions the quality as to which it was installed!
but the guy who carried out the work does quite a bit for people on hear and is a toyota trained mechanic which makes it even more confusing

mickyboy

Member +
Hmm its a funny one lol Well todo the gearbox you have to take the shafts out of the hub there for you will have to take the track rods out of the hub also.. if they havent been changed in along time they would of been a bitch to get out of the hub if your mechanic has been giveing them a good wack to get them out he could of put abit of play on the balljoint inside the track rod if ya get me...When my drivers side track rod went it only knocked when doing say 30mph in 4/5 gear and only now and then hence me thinking that could be the problem as said above start with the cheapest thing first and go from there...Also as for the judder if you've changed the flywheel for a new one and havent changed the cluch for a new one then it could be that the clutch drive plate is warped!! There for only so much is catching the flywheel thats why you could be getting the judder!

96v

Member +
i spoke to hime today and he said the driveshafts came out without a problem so i dont think much whacking was involved, lol!
i have to be honest and say that im leaning towards the fact the diff might not be shimmed up properly :s which could be a worry :confused:
with regards to the judder, it does feel slightly like clutch judder but i asked him to check my clutch and he said it was mint :confused: but then again i guess if the flywheel and clutch surface's aren't meeting properly, would it cause a judder like this?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
If your clutch looks mint as you said and not done many miles i highly doubt the plate would be warped. Chances are the parts just need to settle in. Bearing in mind that these parts are designed to be alot more hardcore than your stock items your car will drive differently regardless and only become more "agressive" or racey if you want to call it that.

These parts arent designed for going slow but manufacturers try to make them livable with from day to day but when you deliver the abuse they crave thats when they then move into there element. Fitment of most uprated parts is going to result in a sacrifice being made normally, i.e Coilovers with comfort (but companies try to make them OK for day to day as said), Paddle Clutches (town and slow driving are awful but upto speed and abuse come into a league of there own).