knocking noise

garioch

Member +
anyone else have a problem after fitting the wilwood 4pot brake kit of the disc rubbing off the bottom ball joint?

i noticed it after fitting them yesterday, this only happens on full lock or when going quite hard round a corner.

anyone ever had this before?

D3N0

Member +
I think The Notorious Cat had this issue, but i cant remember what the resolve issue was. i was thinking of it the other day, as i need to change my ball joints too. finally fitting mine this month, when other bits fall into place.

sanchez

Member +
Hmm now you say that mate, fitted mine the other day and noticed they were close to the ball joint.

Will have to check for the rubbing on the full lock?

Did you have to take the heat sheids off? I did?

Mine fouled in the same place as stated with the new blue print ones, yet didn't with my standard toyota ones. Take from that what you will really!

garioch

Member +
so the rubbing went away when you fitted genuine toyota balljoints? if thats the case i'll just buy some. thanks mate

weakboy2

Member +
dont do that, my car has genuine original ball joints, still fouled after i fitted my replacement rotors (which were slightly thicker than the original poor versions i was sent originally) just get a grinder out and remove a little bit of material until they dont foul, it is perfectly safe as you dont need to remove much at all, i have done two trackdays since no bother.

upto you but you most likely find they will still foul after.

garioch

Member +
i have already ground a bit of the balljoint away, it doesnt foul on full lock now, but it still fouls when cornering.

weakboy2

Member +
take a touch more off then, just dont want you to buy new ones and have to grind those.

unless you have play in the joints causing the movement?

garioch

Member +
not sure how much more i'll get away with taking off. cheers for the heads up though mate.

balljoints are new and dont have any play etc.

sanchez

Member +
Any more info on this guys?

A spacer would mean longer wheel studs?

And what aftermarket ball joints did you use Rory?

Rory

Lifer
Eh.....
Ill get the name later when i get in, dark blue with a red band on the box, its all i can remember the now! :p

sanchez

Member +
Yeah yeah no problem mate, cheers :)

Just find it wierd how a kit made for the starlet has fitment issues lol pain in the arse sometimes but thats the joys of modifying lol

I don't get why you would want to put on a spacer. As in theory yes that will give a bit more outward clearance, but that would mean the disk then foul the caliper of the 4 pot unless you also buffed some material off the caliper bracket or got other ones made up so that the disk would run through the centre of the calipers like it's meant to.