Leaky cam cover

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Hey all,

I've recently changed my cam cover for a race spec one. Ne gasket was put on and ive since been leaking a bit of oil as ive noticed a pretty big patch every time i park which was forming directly underneath the timing belt cover.

I cleared all the oil from my bay and started it up, and it looks like its leaking around the timing belt area from the cam cover and its leaking down through the cover and collecting in the cover and dripping from there.

My question is, can i use instand gasket to help seal it further? Also, im not quite sure how tight to do the 5 cam cover nuts up to. As it uses rubber washers on those nuts, i didnt want to tighten up so much and they end up splitting etc..

Cheers in advance,
Lewis :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate rub a little but of the instant gasket through the rubber rocker one with gloves on and make sure te back left nut near the filler cap in down tight

Are you venting one of the lines from the rocker to atmosphere or a catch with a breather on ?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks guys.

Its a catch can which has a breather on it at the back. I got it all made by Dean @ RW Developments :)

So with the instant gasket, just a thin layer where the rubber sits on the block should do the trick?

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Make sure you have put the catch can plumbing back in properly or you'll blow another gasket somewhere else.

Take you cam cover off (you dont have a rocker cover lol) and make sure all the old gasket is off both parts of the parts you want to seal. if instant seal is needed after that then yeah, just a thin layer. :)

mork

Member +
Make sure you've applied sealant as shown here.

CamcoverSealantlocations.jpg

turboloon

Member +
i had same problem and mark from cmb told me to get high temp sealent put some on my hands(wearing gloves!!)and pass the rocker gasket through your hands lightly coating the entire gasket and hey presto worked a treat!!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Going to attempt this at the weekend. Does the instant gasket need time to dry before starting the engine?

I am just going to do put the instant gasket all the way around just incase.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
^^ cool mate, fingers crossed it does the trick for me too. If this works, ill finally be down to zero leaks for the first time in ages :p

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
oh well ive got a small dizzy leak, but its nothing..
the cam cover used leave a puddle...
remember to tourque it down properly...