looseing coolant

alexgt

Member +
I have just checked coolant level in the expantion tank today and it is on low i had this all don two weeks ago so i know that i have lost some, but i had a presure test done on the system and there was no leaks on it so cant really understand where it is going and why i am looseing any.:rolleyes:

turboflow

Member +
you could have excess presure in the system so it pushes it all out into the expantion tank to the point it over flows, then when the engine cools again it sucks back in what it needs and results in a lower level, or check thee back water pipe form thermo housing i have had trouble with that before

alexgt

Member +
i haven't noticed any steam or water around that area, the reason i had it all done was that the guy b4 me was using normal water this caused rust in the system which blocked the idle control valve and throttle body had all this cleaned out and has been idleing and running lovely, i am using toyota red coolant. so wat your saying is i could be losing water out of the three pipes then??

turboflow

Member +
check the back pipe for leaks coz they may only leak when warmed up, but usually the cuase for high the ordinary pressure is a blown head gasket mate, you may be able to tell with compression test, if not take it to a garage and ask for a hydrocarbon test in the water. i will have another think and sugest some other ideas

Big_Daddy

Member +
Well if you using toyota coolant, you should be able to see some red stains if they have been leaking, common place of leaking if rad bleed valve under the rad.
Get compression test done.
Check oil cap top see any contamination with the oil/coolant.
Toyota are known loose a tad of coolant but after ceratin amount miles/in year. If you loosing more than 2cm of coolant in resvoir, need to get it check.

alexgt

Member +
i had a presure test done on the system and there was no leaks on it so cant really understand where it is going and why i am looseing any.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

ktl

Member +
i had a presure test done on the system and there was no leaks on it so cant really understand where it is going and why i am looseing any.:rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

check all the hoses. even a slight little leak will make you loose coolant.

Fill the expansion tank back up and pop the radiator cap off and run the car on for a while to let any air thats in the system

turboflow

Member +
if the head gasket has gone and it blowing from chamber to water then you will get continuous bubbles with rad cap off depending how bad it is determines frequency bubbles appear. if its burning water then you may be able to tell by checking the plugs, if the tips are a grey/pink colour thats water but i dont think there would be enough to cause that effect, and finally set a camera on your car coz there could be a water robbin pickey havin your water away lol