Lost my gears! Help please

Arnold

Lifer
Hey guys

Car has been set for a week and when parked, it was running alright. Drove it about half a mile but my gear lever went soft / no resistance. I tried to downshift into second and there was nothing there, the engine just revved as if I was in neutral. I managed to get first and parked her, but I cannot get any other gear apart from first. The clutch feels fine, and I couldn't see any hydrolic leaks. Also if I put it in reverse for example, the gear stick stays in the reverse position but I'm still in neutral.

Is it something up with my box and any ideas from my description what is needed to fix it? or could it be something else.

Thank you :)

aidan

Member +
Could be the cables get someone to move the gear stick around while you check if there is any movement at the box

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like cables. or could be as simple as the cables popping off one end or the other if they havnt been fitted back properly

Tercel

Member +
Did you happen to fit a short shifter lately? Mine did the same thing when the bottom of the shifter popped out of the plastic cup on the shift cable. It just wasn't fully seated when I installed it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Did you happen to fit a short shifter lately? Mine did the same thing when the bottom of the shifter popped out of the plastic cup on the shift cable. It just wasn't fully seated when I installed it.

if you fit the retaining clip it wont fall out. if it wasnt seated properly then the clip wouldnt go in.

Tercel

Member +
if you fit the retaining clip it wont fall out. if it wasnt seated properly then the clip wouldnt go in.

Yes, under normal circumstances. I fitted a custom shifter which used a different sized cup which was too loose. The clip went on fine, but the shifter came out of the cup entirely.

Arnold

Lifer
I've had the same shifter fitted for about 4 years now. The cables that control the gears, do they go downwards and outside the car and underneath, or through the car on the inside? Just so I know where to look

dac69er

Super Moderator
lift the gearstick gaitor up and you will see them. they go straight out along the central tunnel and out through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

just move the stick and get someone to watch it gearbox end. chances are they are not moving.

Arnold

Lifer
lift the gearstick gaitor up and you will see them. they go straight out along the central tunnel and out through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

just move the stick and get someone to watch it gearbox end. chances are they are not moving.

Cheers mate will do that tonight. Was hoping to do it yesterday but never got the time

Arnold

Lifer
Right guys, We've had a look and it does appear to be connected at the gearbox end, and you can see the linkage/mechanism move when the gears are engaged. One thing i've noticed is that the cable doesn't seem to sit in the hole. When I pushed it in, it seemed to engage one of the gears. I've uploaded a video to here : http://www.alanarnold.co.uk/glanza2/IMG_0698_Gearlink.MOV - and picture below. How do I fix this!?

IMG_1229_Gearlink.jpg

Thanks guys

Arnold

Lifer
Yeah I bought the one posted above. Toyota wanted about £180 per cable. Still isn't fixed yet but hopefully done sometime this week.

Arnold

Lifer
30 minute job tops, hardest bit is getting the clip off at the gearbox, gland pliers work well.

That's cool, I've got some of those. Do you need to remove the Air Bag ECU or do you leave that alone? Sits right above the cables.