lots of smoke from breather/cyl4 down to 80psi

Ryan_EP88 GT

Member +
Smoke started pouring out of the breather filter a few weeks back so we got the engine stripped at the weekend, left a bit confused as the cylinders are fine and the pistons have no play in them!
Someone from ECC said they're 99% its a burnt out valve although a leakdown test didn't show any problems. How can I tell for sure? Get a pressure test done on the head + the block ?

2 things we noticed were a lot of oil in the inlet manifold - possibly valve stem oil seals? Would it be anything else?
And also the headgasket was soaked in petrol! Would this have anything to do with the problem and force the gas (blue smoke) into the oil galleries/sump/breather etc?

Need all your advice here lads
Any advice appreciated

weeJohn

Lifer
You could see the valves if the heads off, check the seats are clean as anything passing will leave carbon deposits. Worth removing the piston to check for broken rings or ring lands on the piston, start with cylinder 4.

Ryan_EP88 GT

Member +
No haven't inspected the pistons/rods yet, this must be where the problem lies as the valves all looked fine and leakdown didn't bring up any problems. What exactly is ringlands? And how are they fixed?
Thanks Ryan

dac69er

Super Moderator
piston5.jpg

new piston needed if they are cracked/damaged.

Ryan_EP88 GT

Member +
piston5.jpg

new piston needed if they are cracked/damaged.

Thanks for that diagram, it was real helpful! I have got replacement pistons and rings here to be fitted, so how do I check 100% if its them? Have them removed and inspected?
Thanks, reps all round

Jay

Admin
Strip out the pistons and inspect Ryan, that diagram should keep you right.

Worth getting the head refurbished whilst she is off with new seals, skimmed and tested.

Jay

AdamB

Member +
Thanks for that diagram, it was real helpful! I have got replacement pistons and rings here to be fitted, so how do I check 100% if its them? Have them removed and inspected?
Thanks, reps all round

Just to add you will need to get the bores honed to ensure the new rings seal properly :)

Ryan_EP88 GT

Member +
Thanks a lot for the advice guys,I'm going to send the head off to get skimmed and tested before the end of the week and ile collect a toyota gasket set. The bores will be honed as necessary whenever fitted, I will not be putting it back together myself but I can leave the spec sheet to the guy. thanks guys!