LSD Gearbox oil - How much is needed

rid1ridz14

Member +
Hello guys, I looked around on the forum for an answer but there was nothing specific about the amount of oil needed to fill a 4efte gearbox. I have a 5 speed LSD gearbox, same said 4 litres, some 2 litres, others 1.9 litres and so on. I want to know how much is takes because I m going to buy Redline 75w90NS or Lucas SAE 75w90 oil (both for LSD) but they available in 0.95L so I dont want to buy an extra bottle then find out I needed less or more.

Also from where to fill it, I know there is 3 plugs. A drain hole at the bottom, a top hole on the box and a side hole right?
Please guys would be awesome to know the amount of oil it takes.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I always buy 3 litres and that works just fine with a little left over.

You are correct about the plugs. Drain at the very bottom, level about halfway up facing forward and then the filler hole on the top.

Nice easy job to do, don't even need to jack the car up ;)

rid1ridz14

Member +
okay will get 3 bottles then which will be 2.85L thanks bud.
so drain all oil, put drain plug back, fill from the top hole until oil comes out from the side (level) hole.

Jay

Admin

rid1ridz14

Member +
Jay to the rescue as always ahaha, thanks to both of you.
I have a stock lsd box.
Yeah good point I'll make sure the top bolt and level one can be removed first lol.

Also I replied to you about my engine number on that other post :)

Reactions: Jay

rid1ridz14

Member +
I checked the link you sent just awesome, the one from texx is just insane, he even included spec sheet where you can print it, tick whats needed and keep in the car, cool cool stuff. Very amazed lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
Top filler hole ?? 1st I've heard of it lol, normally I just fill them until it runs out of the front bung or level bung as youse are calling it :)
Every days a skool day loool

https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/manual-gearbox-oil-change.55/
A few pics might help, remove all three bolts, drain then fill to the level hole. Both types of box hold 2.1 ~ 2.5 litres but allow for spillage.

Worth making sure you can remove the top bolt before draining in case you get in a pickle lol.

You only need fancy diff oil if you have a fancy diff, stock units use fully synthetic 75w-90 oil.

i've always used a funnel & connected tubing via the "level" hole to refill....a bit of laziness :D ... .lol...but using the top hole would be easier