MAP Sensor

biscuit

Member +
Just wondered if my MAP sensor is on the way out.

The car has always idled a little rough & the other day it started hesitating and mis-firing under load (around 4krpm). All ignition components are new and OEM, plugs are all the usual light brown with no fouling. Re-assambled and everything is fine.

Is there a way to clean the MAP or could split lines be an issue?

Thanks

mitchracer

Member +
Pull it out and give it a good spray with carb cleaner mate, that's all I did and it seemed to sort my stutter out a bit, I'm only doing this until I replace it with a 3 bar sensor, give the connectors coming off the ignition system a clean with carb cleaner too, mine were a bit corroded and dirty, it made a massive difference, is def worth given the connector a clean because it could be a dodgey connector somewhere

biscuit

Member +
Is it ok to spray cleaners on air / electrical sensors?

As far as I can see the MAP sensor measures air only, so want to make sure there is a safe way to clean it.

I also noticed on the vacuum house there is a little plastic piece a few inches down from the MAP sensor itself. What’s this for?

AdamB

Member +
Is it ok to spray cleaners on air / electrical sensors?

As far as I can see the MAP sensor measures air only, so want to make sure there is a safe way to clean it.

I also noticed on the vacuum house there is a little plastic piece a few inches down from the MAP sensor itself. What’s this for?

It's likely to be a small filter if its round and looks like its got a bit of foam in it.
Not too sure about using brake cleaner on it, if you can just try and swap it for a known working item.