Meshed Turbo?!

Rizzy

Member +
ok so new car, new problems :S

basically turbo has no filter on it, due to lack of space, now previous owner decided to mesh it instead, below is an image

IMG-20110527-00045.jpg

i am pretty sure that mesh is nowhere near fine enough...i was thinking of somehow trying to create my own custom filter, using silicone piping etc, but it does seem a really tight fit in all honesty!!

so i have recently been informed that it may be ok to mesh a turbo, as long as the mesh is fine, i would like to know if this is a general consensus, or is it bad for the health of my car :p if so how fine should the mesh be? and where could i get suitable mesh from...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280672120069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT i have found this on ebay, but is it suitable? ...

or would this be more suitable... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120582622077&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
as said in the other thread.. fine mesh will restrict intake... id prefer using a mesh with larger holes just to keep leaves etc out. cos after a few miles the fine mesh will be cloged.. and your turbo intake looks oily. so old oil + dirt = no intake.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
is there an exhaust leak too? looks like there's exhaust on the power steering pump. and intercooler pipe from the turbo looks oily too... turbo is shot??

aidan

Member +
you could try wrapping a bit off the likes of a hks mushroom filter around the inlet same way as the mesh was done

Rizzy

Member +
sounds like i may potentially have bigger concerns :S, if the turbo was shot, would it still boost? its GT25R turbo, and it still kicks in hard, although it does start to spool very late at around 4K revs, got told this maybe due to the fact the manifold has a crack in it, at closer inspection there does seem to be a lot of oil in general, what could be the potential causes of this?? might have to get it all looked at...

aidan

Member +
looks to me like its coming from the oil feed bolt there id change the copper washer on that first then take off ur hot side pipe and see if there is much oil inside the actual pipe and clean all the oil off that general area and see if it builds up again

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
sounds like i may potentially have bigger concerns :S, if the turbo was shot, would it still boost? its GT25R turbo, and it still kicks in hard, although it does start to spool very late at around 4K revs, got told this maybe due to the fact the manifold has a crack in it, at closer inspection there does seem to be a lot of oil in general, what could be the potential causes of this?? might have to get it all looked at...

exhaust leak would cause late spooling. what i would do is get it off road for a day or two, remove manifold downpipe and turbo, fix the exhaust leak,check the turbo and clean all oil, use new bolt for oil banjo and copper washer (dont extra tghiten this when re fitting as it will snap for sure)

Rizzy

Member +
exhaust leak would cause late spooling. what i would do is get it off road for a day or two, remove manifold downpipe and turbo, fix the exhaust leak,check the turbo and clean all oil, use new bolt for oil banjo and copper washer (dont extra tghiten this when re fitting as it will snap for sure)

yeh gonna have to get that done, i know for certain the manifold has a crack, so getting a new manifold fitted when i can afford to do so.

also would the following be a good idea? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150579947616&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1570wt_905

dark_knight

Member +
plumbing relocation

@Rizzy: did you relocate that piping/plumbing that was running precariously close to your exhaust mani..? you should. temps over there reach in excess of 900 deg C..! i know coz i baked a rag cloth i had sitting on the heat shield to protect my arms as i was making some adjustments to my actuator.. & this was after the car had cooled down a good 15 or so minutes.. :D