mot fail

templar2007

Member +
My car fail the mot today that the person who had the car b4 me smashed the inside of the cat out ddoes anyone no where I can get a cheap one or if anyone got one for sale. Thanks

J25GTi

Lifer
Pre 96 doesn't need aa cat. All glanzas need a cat.

And how would they know it had no cat anyway?

As I bet that's not the reason it failed

templar2007

Member +
I got a Gt turbo on a m plate so that 95 I think and it fail on emissions mate to I got the car of my bro and tickle said to him it was a decat but its got a cat on it and the person at the mot place its pre 92 you need a cat

J25GTi

Lifer
Gt turbos don't need a cat. They need to pass a basic emissions. Which should be easy! The gt turbo isn't on the mot testers pc and has no english equivalent, so they do a basic test. And it should pass no issues.

My glanza passed with a 5e, td04 kit, decat, and was WELL within limits.

Japanese imports PRE 96 DO !!NOT!! Need a cat, as they will not be on the database so will just need a basic test which any car should pass

I got a Gt turbo on a m plate so that 95 I think and it fail on emissions mate to I got the car of my bro and tickle said to him it was a decat but its got a cat on it and the person at the mot place its pre 92 you need a cat

Texx

Super Moderator
As already said, if the declared date of first registration is before August 1995 then a cat test is not required for the MOT.

kieran.s gt

Member +
O is it has anyone got a link to where is sez this so I can show them

Do I need a Catalytic Converter (Cat) to pass an MOT?

The common answer to this question is "It's an Import, so no". This is incorrect. If you own a Glanza, it will need a Cat to pass the MOT. If you own a GT, it depends on its date of first use (This is found on the V5) although this will only effect the later Mk3 Quadlights.

Ok, so the MOT handbook currently states that any car first used before 01 Nov 1995 where the engine code is not in the DVLA database (ie, the 4E-FTE fitted to all Starlets) only has to pass the basic emissions test. The basic emissions test consists of measuring the exhaust CO2 levels at idle, with the failure limit at 3.5%. If your 4E is over this limit, even without a cat, you either have it fueled to run a turbo the size of a dinner plate or it is fucked. If you garage tells you that your car needs a cat test, tell them to re-read their MOT handbook or go elsewhere to a place that isn't employing morons.

However (this is the bit Glanza and Mk3 GT owners need to pay attention to), if your car was first used on or after 1st Nov 1995 where the engine code cannot be identified, then it needs to pass the basic cat test. This test differs from the basic emissions test in that the CO2 limit is 0.5% at idle and 0.3% at fast idle (Usually around 3,000 rpm). As you can see, it is quite a lot tighter than the basic emissions test. My GT, running 1 bar and with a decat measured 0.86% at idle and was borderline with the cat on. In short, don't smash the guts out of your cat as a cheap de-cat as you'll need it for the MOT.

Note:- On the V5, "Date of Registration" is different to "Approximate date of first use". The first is the date the car was entered into the DVLA system (ie, when it was imported), the date of first use is the approximate date the car was registered in Japan, taken from what little paperwork will be with your car.

This is the flow chart used by MOT stations to determine if a given car requires a Cat test...

mot-cat.gif

So there you have it, all you need to know about Cats, MOT's and the little Starlet. If you live in a different country to the UK, you will need to check the rules and regs with your local governing body.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...-Turbo-s-Answers-to-the-most-common-questions...

Texx

Super Moderator
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/7.3%20Emmissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20Passenger%20Cars%201992-2002.pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=mot+cat&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=475a332118

A pre August 1995 Starlet GT will not need to have a cat test, only a pre cat test. Max 3.5% CO, Max 1200 HC.

"NOTE 2. Exact Match:
To find an exact match in the current emissions data book, you will need the make, model and other data
such as engine size, model code, engine code, VIN code or serial number.
If after normal cleaning and/or scraping processes a particular code is unreadable or inaccessible, carry
on as if no exact match can be found.
If the flow chart leads to a non catalyst test then carry out that test."

An EP91 will need to pass a cat test at default limits as they are post August 1995.

Vglanza

Member +
ano they are mate, unless are rules are slightly different, are MOT's do differ from the mainland. maybe we have a different rule.??

Texx

Super Moderator
A car should not be refused an MOT pass purely because it doesn't have a cat fitted. If it passes the emissions test (with or without a cat) and no other defects are present, then the car will pass it's MOT.