Moving from Japanese cars to more prestige marques?

Gee

Member +
Not going to be doing it anytime soon BUT..I turn 26 next month and I keeping eyeing up particular cars such as the BMW M3 E46.

You can get hold of them for a pinch under £10,000 with fair few miles on, but the engines should be strong.

Within the next 4-5 years me and the Mrs are planning on marrying and starting a family etc, so I won't have as much disposable income if any at all! :p

So I may have to move away from the modifying game and buy something fantastic out of the box and keep it stock, but is still a performance car. And as I am getting older, something more 'grown up'.

Only thing is...how much does something like a M3 cost to run as a daily?

Anyway, anyone else here get the this feeling?

cameroon95

Member +
I do sometimes when i get the odd look from people ar my work.

Im an office based engineer and i think most people think im a bit of a boy racer but at the same time "fuck em":p

The only time it really is a drag is when i take clients out for lunch, i get one of the otehr guys to drive. he has a 2005 wrx.

I would really like a nissan skyline 350gt, pretty quick and you can get one under 10k

mcleod

Member +
i get this feeling and im 22 mate im looking at getting a house this year but when i have everything sorted furniture etc i'll be looking for a kit car or a toy of some sort

Derek

Lifer
Yup i always think id like something sensible and quick out of the box, but i just know at this age that id still get the itch to change something about it, so i think when i turn thirty it'll be bmw for me.

Gee

Member +
I think my GF has some influence of my thinking too though.

She says, 'Why can't you drive a 'normal car'?

I mean, WTF..whats not normal about it! LOL

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
I could never see the fuss with a 'marque' to be honest. So what if the plastic's softer and it rattles less? All I car about is how it goes handles, and most importantly, what I paid for it... My Caldina's comfy, fast and grippy, has low miles, has been looked after, and all for very good money.

My mates have had BMW's, Audi's etc, and they all go back to either french fast hatches or Jap cars.

Save your money and put it in the bank chap, especially if you're going to sprout little ones. You'll need it, trust me...

Nippon

Member +
M3 would be expensive man.
My girlfriends cousin has a BMW 3 series coupe as his daily. He has decided to get rid of it due to it rinsing through petrol. My nearly standard starbo does almost twice as many miles to the gallon.

gv1.3

Admin
I hear you Gee. I cant see myself not having a weekend car to tinker around with but I have my heart set on a 911.

Matchew

Member +
Everyday driving you'll gwet around 15-20mpg and giving it the beans between 7-10mpg, is there anything else you need to know? I work at BMW btw, pm me is you want to

PelvisGt

Member +
I think my GF has some influence of my thinking too though.

She says, 'Why can't you drive a 'normal car'?

I mean, WTF..whats not normal about it! LOL

Mine says the same thing lol

I think they mean like a 1.6 focus or something along those lines.

I like the toyota corolla compressors, the 1.8 supercharged one. I think they look smart and comfy but produce 225bhp standard and can get it 5 door i think if need be

Derek

Lifer
Pm me some details ;)

Its my girlfriends uncles car(mid life crisis just ended) ill see what i can find out and pm you asap he is in germany at the min, he was trying to sell it to me for a while there. its some year in the 80's, red, engine just been rebuilt. looks mint imo.

Gee

Member +
I could never see the fuss with a 'marque' to be honest. So what if the plastic's softer and it rattles less? All I car about is how it goes handles, and most importantly, what I paid for it... My Caldina's comfy, fast and grippy, has low miles, has been looked after, and all for very good money.

My mates have had BMW's, Audi's etc, and they all go back to either french fast hatches or Jap cars.

Save your money and put it in the bank chap, especially if you're going to sprout little ones. You'll need it, trust me...

I knew I spelt something wrong! :D Can someone change it to marques for me? ;)

Once I get older, I just think I am going to want something bigger, comfy and with luxery items etc. But still to be a performance car.

It's not something I am thinking of doing anytime soon anyway, just thought I'd ask how everyone else though these days. May be I am having my mid life crisis early!

M3 would be expensive man.
My girlfriends cousin has a BMW 3 series coupe as his daily. He has decided to get rid of it due to it rinsing through petrol. My nearly standard starbo does almost twice as many miles to the gallon.

Dam.

Might have to forget the idea, LOL.

I hear you Gee. I cant see myself not having a weekend car to tinker around with but I have my heart set on a 911.

911..hmm nice.

I was thinking of the M3 as an everyday car, but come to think of it..maybe as a weekend car would be a better idea. Considering how much it is probably going to cost to run!

gv1.3

Admin
And Gee there is no reason you couldnt wake up in the morning and decide "I think I will take the civic today" or vice versa. I used to do that all the time when I had two cars. I called the Glanza a weekend car but it often got used during the week if I was bored.

Gee

Member +
Yeah, it's starting to make more sense.

I could use the M3 for when I want to look posh...dress up in a suit and all that and attend dinner partys!

gv1.3

Admin
Yeah, it's starting to make more sense.

I could use the M3 for when I want to look posh...dress up in a suit and all that and attend dinner partys!

lmao. I had a dinner party last weekend and a friend of mine said "the only difference between having a dinner party and having mates around for a few drinks is that when you have a dinner party you know you are getting old"

turbojim

Lifer
il never grow up:haha: JAP for life:rockon: i will always have my starlet and i will buy my supra this year all going well and il be happy then

wen i feel like spendin more money iv saved it will be r34:)

sx_turbo

Lifer
why worry about it now, you said "within the next 4-5 years"

worry about it when the time comes mate, a lot can happen in that time.

best thing to do is concentrate on the present not the future, what will be will be.

if you want something more upmarket now thats posh aswell, why not think about 350z or something you can be posh and dress up in a suit in that, i know it's not something to go for when u got little ones, but as i said there not here yet..........