My 3SGTE conversion webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWJ

Wow great write up! We have the Tercel in the US and the same issues with the 3sgte engine swap! The few that have done it say that it is very difficult, very expensive, will break the frame and handles like crap!

GT_Revva has not had any of those issues with Dragonfly, frame breaking or handling badly but he also says it is a very difficult and expensive swap.

TheStarletGT

Member +
I appreciate the endorsement SWJ, what you have mentioned is indeed a ongoing myth out there >

Expensive
Hard
Impossible
Too heavy etc

It is not hard to install nor allot of money is needed. In here, there is a member that has done this conversion and it totalled no less than $10,000. Im not sure if he built it or if he paid for it to be built. I have seen people say that it has costed even $4000-$5000.

I intend to show everyone how cheap it is to do. The only hard work is Labour, you gotta spend time with the engine and the car and do all the checking and more checking and thats how its done.

SWJ

I appreciate the endorsement SWJ, what you have mentioned is indeed a ongoing myth out there >

Expensive
Hard
Impossible
Too heavy etc

It is not hard to install nor allot of money is needed. In here, there is a member that has done this conversion and it totalled no less than $10,000. Im not sure if he built it or if he paid for it to be built. I have seen people say that it has costed even $4000-$5000.

I intend to show everyone how cheap it is to do. The only hard work is Labour, you gotta spend time with the engine and the car and do all the checking and more checking and thats how its done.

Well I assume you have to know how to weld! A skill I plan to learn. I know you have to get the engine placement right..front to back, left to right, and up and down.

What about serving the engine the T Belt and water pump? Would you have to pull the engine for T-Belt change?

TheStarletGT

Member +
The timing belt can be replaced with engine still in car. It may be tight and fiddly, but it can be done anytime, just same space as 4efte replacement.

Once the engine is positioned appropriately, all mounts can be made. I started from the drivers side, then the firewall, gearbox, then front. Thats the biggest job i guess cos the rest is now a walk in the park.

The conversion is not difficult as many think, its just the time required to get things done. Once the idea is constructed, then you can begin making things, like mounts, brackets etc.

Im not a pro welder, i started with arc/stick welding, and now just recently a mig welder, im yet to be even more skilled in the art of welding.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
x3...

Not liking these snotty comments.

NOTE: It has come to my attention that a a person from another country has completed a 3SGTE conversion in a EP82 starlet and it has ended up not what the average person would say a worthwhilst result. Why i say this well read further. Here are some aspects i found out about the conversion >

1: It has costed him no less than $10,000 to do the conversion.

2: He has not installed a absorbable engine/gearbox mount to the front end, consequently splitting the front bar in two pieces (cracked in half due to the stress of the engine rocking).

3: The specifications was mild, had aftermarket ecu etc, it was not a race built engine, just a standard 3SGTE from a MR2.

4: From what i can remember, he is now wrecking the car.

$10,000 to do this conversion, hahahahahahah, well i guess thats what you get when you get other people to dio it for you or whatever.
UNQUOTE

:freddy:

corofin12345

Member +
ah sur best of luck with the build mate, but please take a minute to listen to my kind words of wisdom;

your digging yourself into alot of shit by using the st185 lump
fail2.jpg

going down that path will leave you bewildered and confused
fail3.jpg

you may think your car will be on rails after the conversion but your half arsed attempt will only lead you to no where
fail1.jpg

and last but not least, coming on here thinking your god and shouting off your like that can only mean one thing (you have no willy)
fail.jpg

goodday mate

Status
Not open for further replies.