Never ending issues......**UPDATE - 26/08/10**

Rory

Lifer
Right, im needing a collectivethinking on this one, and hopefully sooner the better :p

My car has been having an issue over the past week with the ignition system.

Its had new plug leads, dizzy cap and arm within the last 4 months, and fresh plugs every month just about.

It was mapped at 1.4 bar by Chris on the EMU and it went fine, no issues

It was mapped on the PFC and it would not run 1.4 bar without a missfire at the top
Ran 1.2 fine until the other day when it starting doing it at 0.9 bar (base pressure) :confused:

BUT the past few days, its been really bad, non starting in the morning etc, its been a royal pain in the arse.

Only thing ive not checked is the fuel pump and the earths, thats on for tonight, might even possibly earth the dizzy and coil to the battery, and clean everyone there is.

So my question being, has anyone been in a similar situation? Or possibly shed any light on the matter?
Im due for mapping tomorow, but if the car wont go it wont get done :(

Please help. :)

Rory

whiteglanzav

Member +
i thought the problem you were having was with the EMU - if it is still doing it now other than checking the positives and the earths like you said i really cant think of anything . . .

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
dont know if its any use to ya but im getting a slight mis fire too the more boost i run the worse it gets but its the plug gap im just waiting on a new set to come from camskill and iirc its .6mm i have to gap it too and then head for another power run on the dyno at 1.6 bar

Rory

Lifer
Aye i did have it with the emu, but ive now got it with the std ecu and injectors etc :(
can only be earths now that could cause ignition problems

popsy - the plug gaps are fine buddy, ive got them down to .6 ( the last set ) still had the same issue

im hoping its not the pump or mapping wont happen, i feking hope its sumin simple!! :p

Rory

Lifer
Thats the thing it was running last night, then this morning it wouldnt fire! Its done that a few times now!!

Rather annoying at 7.30am!!

scot-ish

Member +
i cant think off too much really. other than the earths.

is the dizzy loose?

is it using alot of fuel?

Rory

Lifer
Aye it was running through fuel when the PFC was in, 150 miles to a tank!

Dizzy is tight aswell.

Whats annoying me is its and intermitting issue.

scot-ish

Member +
there the worst problems mate.

Edit, didnt read it all lol.. have you tried a new ignitor, or coil or watever the feck they call it, where the king lead connects to.

the problem with theses intermittent are usually electrical, either connections, or cable brakedown.

Rory

Lifer
Aye tried another coil and dizzy.... Just the same!! Argh..

The PFC doesnt do it but the standard one does, no fault codes thrown up, just constantly flashes.

As i say ill be checking all the earth points as soon as i get in from work, and go from there
If it isnt that, im stuck. :(

Rory

Lifer
Hey Ricky,

Injectors i know are good, only came out last week and had no issues with them?
DOnt know about the FPR though, anyway to check it without a presure gauge?

Clutching at straws it is buddy :(
Ill be checking everything i can tonight, without having a late night (again)

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
If the FPR was giving problems, it would raise fuel pressure properly when the engine is revved on idle. I wouldn't say its the FPR.

Whats the plugs heat range? How much are they gapped? If its heat range 9 and over, in cold weather they will give a few problems with starting up. We use Champion QC57C over here and they're OK even when starting, I recommended them to mate in Ireland a few months back and he had issues cos of the cold. Try a heat range 8, they're OK to fire it up and should still be just fine at 1.4bar too.

Another guy had a similar problem too in the past, car cut firing completely on high boost and sometimes didnt start at all, turned out to be the stock ignitor. He replaced it just cost €90 from Toyota and never had problems ever since.

Hope this helps.

Keith

scot-ish

Member +
i believe the ignitor is seperate, i meant to write that in my last post, was meant to say ignitor and coil or watever the fuck lol

anyways, good luck fella, because bar whats been mentioned, i would then be searching for a new loom.

Rory

Lifer
Keith,

Using NGK - BCR8ES plugs, gapped at .6mm
£90 isnt to bad i suppose, ill wait and see how i get on over the next few days with it.

If the FPR was giving problems, it would raise fuel pressure properly when the engine is revved on idle. I wouldn't say its the FPR.

Whats the plugs heat range? How much are they gapped? If its heat range 9 and over, in cold weather they will give a few problems with starting up. We use Champion QC57C over here and they're OK even when starting, I recommended them to mate in Ireland a few months back and he had issues cos of the cold. Try a heat range 8, they're OK to fire it up and should still be just fine at 1.4bar too.

Another guy had a similar problem too in the past, car cut firing completely on high boost and sometimes didnt start at all, turned out to be the stock ignitor. He replaced it just cost €90 from Toyota and never had problems ever since.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Aye it is seperate, and ive tried another one aswell. :(
Theres no wy i can have 2 faulty ones, ive got a 3rd lined up, just have to go get it.

i believe the ignitor is seperate, i meant to write that in my last post, was meant to say ignitor and coil or watever the fuck lol

anyways, good luck fella, because bar whats been mentioned, i would then be searching for a new loom.

Ricky, aye ive tried another but to no avail :( Got a 3rd lined up to try.

turboloon

Member +
hope you get this sorted soon rory..only other thing ye could try is get it down to a local toyota garage and see if their diagnostic gear would maybe pick something up...

scot-ish

Member +
they will do the same dianostics test.

there is no OBD connection, so i dont know how else they would do a diagnostics.

Ted

Member +
check your coolant temp sender(green topped one on thermo housing). faulty or bad connecting one would cause poor starting.