New sills lasting fix

RoyalDutchie

Member +
So since my sills are really turning into the purest form of the Japanese gold dust. I need to grind it out and get some new outer sills(Ford fiesta mk3 5 door) and propably some new inner sills which I'll get plasma cut out of sheet metal.

I was just wonder wat the best lasting fix is. My current approach would be to put a potential new inner sill into 2 component epoxy which contains zinc phosphate. Depending on the temp in the inside of the sills the paint on the inner sills shouldn't burn off when welding in the new outer sills. The outer sills will be covered in the same 2 component epoxy, but the welding edges will be done in weld through primer even though both will probably be burned off. May monitor the inside temp of the sills for some data about the internal air temp for future reference.

after the new sills are done I'll have some exposed weld seams in the inside of the sills which need to be protected. I have some fluid film which is a paste like substance which becomes liquid at about 60 degrees. Covering the inner sills with this will result in wax like coating in the inside which will not drip until about a inner temp of 60 degrees. The drain holes could get clogged by this which will result in rust eventually.

I need some info for the best lasting results and coating to seal the sheet metal while welding and to seal the sills from the inside after welding the outer sill.

Jay

Admin
I've been using Bilt Hamber products on mine, most notably the S50 cavity wax for insides of sills, chassis legs and insides of doors, etc. Seems to have slowed down any corrosion present so that should translate very well to new metal. Might be worth a look?

Their lineup is pretty much marine-grade which is ideal for where I'm based. If it can protect a saltwater pier I'm happy to use it on my car.

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/

RoyalDutchie

Member +
I've been using Bilt Hamber products on mine, most notably the S50 cavity wax for insides of sills, chassis legs and insides of doors, etc. Seems to have slowed down any corrosion present so that should translate very well to new metal. Might be worth a look?

Their lineup is pretty much marine-grade which is ideal for where I'm based. If it can protect a saltwater pier I'm happy to use it on my car.

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/
The bilt Hamber products are very good. Only problem is they are sold abroad so conversion rate to gbp and shipping makes these products more expensive. One of my doors is done for but here we still have a fresh supply of ep91 doors without rust for a good price. Getting a replacement and protecting it is the next thing on the list.

For rust prevention I have been using fluid film which is based on lanolin and is biodegradable and also pretty easy to remove(treatment needs to be repeated but the most hardcore products easily last for 5 years+ fluid film ar is even advertised to last 15 years inside sills). The more hardcore perma film is a bit harder to remove, but with the right solvents it is messy but not impossible. A combination of all the products is also completely transparent so you can see what is happening underneath. For the insides of the sill I guess something lasting is the way to go. I'll be putting Bilthamber on the list.

acf 50 is also a nice product for very sort term protection(6-12 months) if you do not want to commit to a product yet.

Last edited:

RoyalDutchie

Member +
May get those outer sills, one seems to be out of stock. Not to keen on fitment if the side skirt fits flush I'm not to bothered how (OEM) it looks underneath it to be fair.

Last edited:

burty

Member +
Ahh fair enough as you know I don't have skirts on so needed the oem look in fairness the shape is pretty simple

SKINY

Lifer
I have a full ep82 sill section here, wonder how much a metalwork place would charge to make a batch up hmm

burty

Member +
I have a full ep82 sill section here, wonder how much a metalwork place would charge to make a batch up hmm
Think you would be onto something tbh parts are stupid money now I managed to get this for my restoration must be last one in UK

Attachments

• DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 8

SKINY

Lifer
Think you would be onto something tbh parts are stupid money now I managed to get this for my restoration must be last one in UK
That's what I have, a full side cut. I cut it just below where the bodykit meets :) and left Jay the rest of the q panel.