Newbie in need of help,please

StevenhughesV

Fresh Recruit
Hi everyone.iv followed this forum for quite a while but iv never set up and account.
Iv had my 1997 Glanza v for about 2years now
I sold it for a while but regretted it after about a day and had to buy it back.

Well a couple of months ago my car started spraying oil out the rocker cover breather which meant I had pressure building up inside the engine. I done a compression test and cylinder 1,3+4 had 170 and 2 had 90,so I took the head off and checked everything out,got the head skimmed and pressure tested and everything is fine. So then I put sum oil in the cylinders and it all leaked away within a couple of hours,so I'm hoping this just means my pistons rings are gone and the cylinders don't need rebored.now iv took the pistons out and have found piston 2 ring land has cracked and fell apart in my hands. This is my daily driver and don't really have the funds to go forged so I'm wanting to do it as cheap as I can but do I right cos I never plan on selling the car,I will end up forged at sumpoint,just not now.my problem is trying to find standard pistons,the only place I can find them is camskillz and they have 3 diffrent options 74.091mm 74.092mm + 74.093mm,I have no idea what ones to get? I don't have anything that could measure the old piston that precise.obviously I will be replacing all 4 pistons while there out. Does anyone know what piston size I should get and what could have caused the ring land to crack? I'm running 0.8bar on a standard ct9 and have air and fuel mods.iv read a lot of people saying that it could be caused by having the standard exhaust manifold still on. I did but a toyosports stainless steel one from eBay but that caused nothing but problems and I couldn't get it to sit right,everytime it was fitted it would leak,it was fine for the first couple of days but then the car would hardly boost atall andh sounded like a tractor so I just put the standard one back on. Thanks for any help,Steven.glasgow

StevenhughesV

Fresh Recruit
Sorry just realised the size that I posted was wrong. They are
Size 1- 73.900-73.910
Size 2- 73.910-73.920
Size 3- 73.920-73.930
I would possible change just the one if someone had a rod and piston forsale that was the same size as mine

Jay

Admin
Hi Steven, welcome to the site buddy.

If you look on the cracked piston you should see a number stamped (1,2 or 3) This should tell you which size was installed at factory stage. Whether or not the tolerances have changed over the years is anybody's guess but at least it'll give you a best guess at getting it sorted. Ideally you get the cylinder measured and use the closest size you can to make things easier with the ring gaps.

Worth bearing in mind that swapping in another used piston isn't the most mechanically correct solution but hey, it might save a pound or two if your luck is in.

Hope that helps,

Jay

StevenhughesV

Fresh Recruit
Brilliant guys. Thanks very much to the both of yous. Yeah jay ideally I would like to replace all pistons to new ones but if sumone had a old set that was fine then I would try fitting them cos adventualy I would like to go forged,just need this engine to last another year or so till the money is there to do that.but I totally understand what your saying,goes against everything,would be like fitting old pads to new discs,you just don't do it lol ill check the numbers on the pistons and the block tomorrow because my cars up at my work the now. Do yous have anywhere yous would recommend to get the pistons or rings from. Only place I can really see is camskills? And personally I won't buy from eBay again after the toyosports manifold incident. Thanks very much again for the quick reply guys

5e colin

Member +
forgotten to say welcome dude ha ha

here you get the bearings trust washer set

http://www.ziscoperformance.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=34

and ere the rings

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m19b0s129...ings_-_OE-_Toyota_Starlet_Turbo_EP82_and_EP91

----------------------

also there is no problem using a old piston if it aint scratched / worn just a new set off rings on them and they will be ok

i have rebuilt plenty engines with used pistons in them there all still going

wildchild

Member +
welcome to the site mate ;)

wel, you could just buy a new set of piston rings for all four pistons. you could use your old pistons if they arent damaged or the sides have been 'scratched/scathed'
better buy a genuine set of piston rings if you want it to last longer.
While you're at it get a set of ACL main, bigend & thrust bearing set if you intend to replace piston rings.

StevenhughesV

Fresh Recruit
Hi mate,and thank you.
Piston number 2 ring land has cracked but the other 3 look perfect after a clean up. So minimum I need one pistons and I will get a set of genuine rings,am sure they come in at £106 inc vat. And a can get a genuine standard piston for £75. So I'm hoping that it's just piston 2 cracked ringland and the piston rings thats building up all the pressure and forcing oil out my rocker cover filter. Do you think I would get away with not changing the other bearings just now,there's no cracks/scratches or damage that I can see. It is just going to be a temp fix to keep the car runnin for the next year then the plan is to get another car as a daily and forge my glanza.funds are quite tight just now or else I would be a perfect time to forge it.

5e colin

Member +
sorry mate i have no more 4efte pistons only na

it wont be a temp fix mate 1s u done the rings bearings and a piston it will do another 100.000miles

wildchild

Member +
yup you can skip the bearings. but as far as i know the piston rings come as one set (thats for all 4 pistons). but if you can get hold of the rings for just one piston then thats fine. you can save abit more if you manage to get a used piston from someone out here. try seaarching in the 'parts for sale' section. Else you can post a wanted thread in the 'parts wanted' section and you might get lucky if anyone has it.

StevenhughesV

Fresh Recruit
Thanks very much for everyone's help.
If I have the money I will get the bearings just now if not I'll just strip it back down in a few thousand miles and replace them then.
And I will definitely be getting a set of piston rings just to be sure.i have all the pistons out and rings off anyway.
I think i have manged to find a set of standard pistons and rods from a guy called nudge on here so hopefully my car will be back on the road in the next month.
Currently running about in my bosses 1.2corsa with a 5.5"back box that came off a Scooby!!! I don't think my life could get much worse just now lol
Thanks again for everyone's help and I'll keep yous posted with how I'm getting on in the next month.