Normal 4EFTE operating temperature?

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
Mine runs about a third of the way, then on a run it'll go down. I guess they should be no more than just under half way up the gauge?
If it's running cool then could need a new 'stat like mine does or if it has extra cooling then that'll affect it too.

dac69er

Super Moderator
depends on the weather, but anywhere around 80-90 is fine. mine usually runs at around 84-85, but i only use it in the summer.

Paul_JJ

Member +
95C - according to my Starlet Service Manual translated from Japanese. Personally, I would've thought that anything from 85c to 95C is good!

Reactions: Fez

dark_knight

Member +
my current setup is running 15w-40 oil and driven mostly in light to moderate traffic with ambient temps of about 26ºC and i get readings of 90 to 94ºC before the fan kicks in and my super efficient cooling circuit drops it back to 90 give-or-take.. :D
stand-still traffic with ambient temps of about 28ºC will see it hovering around 98º -- hoping that is the kind of information you were looking for :)
like Paul_JJ said already, 85 to 95 is a good number to have..

Reactions: Fez

Jazzygerbil

Fresh Recruit
Thanks guys, even though your all in sort of disagreement about ambient temps in the uk in summer the engine temp was the one I was looking for. So I should set an over heat warning light at around 110 degrees?

Paul_JJ

Member +
The ambient temperature is very important and directly affect the engine temperature!
I would set the warning light to 105C.

At what time does the temp gauge go up. Usually i see the temp around 80 degrees no matter what time of day but with this new build I am seeing it go to 84 85 and the temp gauge on the cluster goes up has me a lil worried. This is day or night if i rough up the car a lil on 10psi. I don't want to turn up more boost untill I am sure.

how high is your temp gauge going? it usually sit a little below halfway---is it going pass the halfway mark into the 3/4 area?

is your fan cutting in at the correct temp setting?---has it been accidentally reset?

are you using the same radiator as before?--- any blockage?

is your thermostat working properly?

now i remember once my gauge was going up and into the "hot" region, BUT my car was not overheating...the ecu temp sensor was faulty.... it's the triangular 3 wire sensor on the water housing if i remember correctly

so just double check that first

Jay

Admin
Pretty sure the stock gauge will stay midway until it gets a reading of 104 then it'll shoot to the top.

I'll actually pay attention to my aftermarket gauge tomorrow and let you know how mine behaves!

sx_turbo

Lifer
starlet thermostats open @ 82 degrees

they generally run at about 85-88 degrees

the rad fan switch comes on at 92 degrees and turns off at 87 degrees.

my old starlet always ran at 85 degrees no matter what i done, just cruising, or hooning it was always 85 degrees, unless stuck in traffic

Thank you so much I was wondering why it was sometimes the fan would be on at 84 and then yesterday after doing some testing it came on at 92

For some reason now in traffic I am seeing 92-98 degrees with fan on. I have in a TRD Thermostat which is supposed to open at 71 or 75. Pondering taking it out and also flushing the radiator out clean.

Yes Gorganl200 same radiator and fan I always been using. But i was previously using water. Now I am using coolant. I now set up my aem to tell the fan come on earlier but even with fan on it still rising. Before my temp guage would go to the bottom right corner of D (using automatic gauge cluster) Now its pointing to the N which is a lil above half. Before no matter how I rough up my car it never moved above the D. But now if I give it a squeeze then go in traffic I am at 92-98 degrees.