Notching the block?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I remember back in the initial days of forged engines this was a "thing".

Is it still something that needs doing with forged rods? Is there any downside to doing it?

Are there any rods that don't require the block being notched?

I assume the notching is done at the bottom of the cylinders?

Kev-ep91

Member +
If i remember rightly i read a thread on this awhile back and PEC rods dont require the block to be notched, ill see if i can find it:)

dac69er

Super Moderator
Thanks. I saw in another thread that sometimes the pec rods need the block notched and sometimes they don't!!!

I'm not too fussed if it needs doing.

Just wondered if it was still the done thing, or I should keep away as it causes issues!?

we've done it once before with a die grinder/dremel...if required, just take your time and shave off a small amount of metal from the block at a time and test, then repeat if necessary,..and leave a little more room for heat expansion...we tried to make each notch a smooth curve to avoid any stress points...its done at the 2 opposing sides at the bottom of each cylinder, at the point where the rods are touching the block

in our case the block did not need it as the forged rods had reasonable clearance,, but we figured as the block was out, we might as well do it to future proof it (if we ever decided to change to different forged rods)

Reactions: Jay