On going error code 52 issue.

_shaun_

Member +
Really starting todo my head in ill just start from the beginning.

Picked up a forged v running a td04 and emu. Power wise was shocking so stuck my hybrid gt28 on it and took it to be remapped. The car always had issues starting from warm which I put down to the horrid map. So day arrives am at the rollers car goes on and guy starts to map it 10 mins in the car stalls and we can't get it to start. Number of checks later we found the timing belt was out. Sorted that and got back on rollers but the car wouldn't boost past 1.2bar but still made a decent figure and was a machine to drive. Only issue was a speed sensor error if I sat between 3 and 5k for a few seconds which I had on my last v and the last person put it down to the crappy manual tps .So decided the boost issue was likely a wastegate issue and took it away to get a new spring. Everything went fine for few weeks untill I found myself racing a ford rs played chases for an hour or so and gave it absolute death. Go out to car next day and eml pops up its the knock sensor warning. So far I've checked the wire and it seems to be fine I've checked the metal sheilding for the cable and it to looks to be fine. Just changed the knock sensor and its still giving me an error. Basically totaly fine till the revs but 4k then the light pops on. What's strange is when the car was being mapped russ the mapper could not get it to det at all which he put it down to it being a super low compression engine build for big boost.

Only thing I can think todo now is take it back to the mappers and have them look over it but as its a 350 round trip and trying to get a day there free and am not working is almost impossible.

Just looking for any advise before I bite the bullet and have to give the car and my wallet back to the garage

dac69er

Super Moderator
as an emu is fitted i would suspect the wiring at the ecu end to be a likely culprit. the speed sensor error would also point towards dodgy wiring. the signal only goes between the cluster and the ecu. it should only show up if you disconnect the speedo cable or if there is a problem with the pickup on the cluster or the wiring/connections

_shaun_

Member +
Ahh see I though for the speed sensor it was quite common as last 2 I've had have had the same
Issue.

The thing about the error 52 is I don't think the emu touches the knock sensor wiring does it?

_shaun_

Member +
Was back at this today poped the cover off the ecu and done a conitunity check between the ecu pin (inside) and the sensor plug in engine bay and showed relatively low resistance. So looks Like that was fine. Then was advised could be the sheilded cable not being earthed so ran an extra wire from my earthing kit to the sheild and now the eml seems to come on earlier in the rev range. Could this be a sign that its actualy my earth causing interference? And if so how would you check that.

Also looked at my Spd sensor wiring and its light blue yellow sliced into the ecu side with a good connection and brown yellow on the cluster side which is also a solid connection.

dac69er

Super Moderator
What is relatively low resistance? We are talking about a low voltage system so a little resistance can make a big difference.
The shield needs to connect to a clean refference ground point. Directly on the negative via a grounding kit will cause interferrance.

Why is your speed sensor wiring spliced? Does it go to the emu? It could be a duff pickup in the cluster, if it's connected to the emu and you have the software you could monitor the signal I would imagine!?

Stu-

Member +
The knock sensor shielding should only be connected to earth at the ecu end not the engine end. It should be connected to the sensor earth pin on the ecu.

_shaun_

Member +
The speed wire is spliced into the emu yea. We got to the bottom of the error 52 the new sensor I bought turned out not to be genunie. I replaced it with a Toyota one and it's now working fine apart from the error 42 which I'll look at shortly