Peugeot gearbox faults

Texx

Super Moderator
'51 plate Peugeot 206 petrol manual.

Do these things suffer from any common faults with the gearbox? I wouldn't normally step within spitting distance of any form of French vehicle, but a friend of mine has an issue with her 206 (not 100% sure whether it's a 1.1 or a 1.4). It's developed what's best described as a clicking/grinding noise when you lift off the throttle, it does it it any gear and gets quieter although still apparent when the clutch is disengaged, when accelerating the noise completely disappears.

My first thought was that it sounds like a diff problem, but wondered whether anyone has come across this issue before? I've had a quick go on Google and several people have experienced this exact issue but in the usual internet style most of the responses are full of bollox.

mark1991

Member +
The crown wheel is heat shrunk onto the diff as you will know toyota diff's and most others are bolted on. Sometimes they start to slip but it would be very hard to drive unless you drive like a granny. The box's are ok apart from the diff i would say 9/10 its the diff that goes.

You could always fit a diesel gearbox they tend to be stronger. you could always go for the expensive choice... Do what i did when my C2 gt box gave up... buy a quaife lsd lol

good luck mate

Last edited:
We had to change the input shaft bearing on a mates 106 when it was doing something similar not sure if they use the same parts though.

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure it's not a bearing noise, but that ring gear slipping makes perfect sense. What the hell were they thinking when they came up with that crap idea?!

Cheers lads, I'll get on to a few people and source a new gearbox. Whilst we're on the subject, are all the 1.1/1.4 petrol gearboxes the same/interchangeable? or will I need to source the same type that's in the car?