piston rings question

gedis

Member +
lads i got small problem, i droped my block to machine shop to get it skimmed(will be using metal head gasket). now thei got confused and insted of skimming thei honed the block, i was going to run same same piston rings as thei were beded in and only 5k miles on it, but now i have to replace the rings, pistons i am using is JE, but i wonder would other make piston rings(thinking of total seal) work with them pistons, i know its best to mesure in but that means i have to buy them and chances is that thei wont fit the pistons after, does anyone has first hand expierence with it?

TheStarletGT

Member +
Say goodbye to the old bedded in rings, good for the garbage now. You will now have to get brand new rings to suite the piston.

gedis

Member +
Say goodbye to the old bedded in rings, good for the garbage now. You will now have to get brand new rings to suite the piston.

yes know that, the question was would other make rings be good(thinking of total seal units) or will have to get new genuine JE set

churcherj

Member +
yes know that, the question was would other make rings be good(thinking of total seal units) or will have to get new genuine JE set

im in the same boat mate with my ross pistons, going to get total seal rings, im sure they would make them to suit your JE piston, what you would need to do is send total seal and email with your piston number/job card and they will find out the rings which would be suited to your piston. if they wont do it for you, you will need to get the JE rings measured to fit out the spec of the rings, they should be able to tell you what measurements you would need to take, i cant remember exactly...will try and find an old email :)

gedis

Member +
im in the same boat mate with my ross pistons, going to get total seal rings, im sure they would make them to suit your JE piston, what you would need to do is send total seal and email with your piston number/job card and they will find out the rings which would be suited to your piston. if they wont do it for you, you will need to get the JE rings measured to fit out the spec of the rings, they should be able to tell you what measurements you would need to take, i cant remember exactly...will try and find an old email :)

i could send them my rings all together and see if thei can match it up