Power window circuit breaker

Texx

Super Moderator
Spent some time trying to get the old rice burner back on the road, but since it's been parked up the central locking and power windows have decided to stop working. Another window switch hasn't solved the problem and at the very least the drivers window motor is fine as I can put the window down and back up by hitting the motor connector with battery voltage.

According to the wiring diagram, there's a 30A circuit breaker somewhere for the central locking and windows. I've got to be honest and say I've not looked very hard so far and it's not something I've ever had to get involved with before, so can anyone point me in the direction of said circuit breaker (if indeed it actually exists in an EP82)?

I've checked both fuse boxes for any blown fuses yet not come across any 'circuit breaker'?

Rev

Member +
Sera has a 30A power window fuse located in the drivers foot well . Fuse 5 on the left . It is next to a 20 amp wiper Fuse no4. If you have an alarm the central locking control will be switched there too. But really think it might be mechnical not electrical . When mine was parked for a while the electric plunger in the door that pushes the door locks became frozen just needed wd40 and psysical working to get it going again.

Texx

Super Moderator
I've checked all fuses, both visually and and with a volt meter on either side of each fuse, they're all good. But again the EP8 circuit diagram for both the power windows and central locking shows a 30A BC rather than a fuse, although this may not be the cause of the problem I am intrigued by this '30A BC'.

It's definitely electrical though, I have 12v on one pin of the master switch connector, however I do not see 12v at the drivers motor switch connector when the master switch is operated. I've tried this with two known good master switches (have checked them with a meter) and had the same result. TBH I've not looked too hard as it was a bit chilly out and I had better things to do, but my intention was to find this '30A BC' or whatever the EP82 equivalent is, check it is passing 12v and then trace my way back from the master switch connector until I identify the cause of the open circuit or confirm there isn't one.

Rev

Member +
Sounds like a good plan there . 30amp is a lot of power , I can only think it may read ' 30A DC ' different fuse required for DC power compared to AC or BC meaning battery cable a more direct cable needed because of the higher load?

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
After checking the manual a little more thoroughly (RTFM!), it appears that the 30A circuit breaker is mounted to a bracket along with the power main relay under the drivers side of the dash below the central locking relay module. Will have to drop the lower dash panel tomorrow lunch time and have a look, however I do have a strong feeling that I'm not going to find the cause of the problem there.

Texx

Super Moderator
For those that are interested, the circuit breaker was indeed the cause of the non functioning windows and central locking. Either I'd shorted something out when swapping the drivers window regulator or the old fucked motor had caused the breaker to trip. Once tripped the circuit breaker has to be removed from it's socket and reset manually, looking through the wiring diagram manual it appears the 30A CB only feeds the central locking and power window circuits, so if you have both not working at the same time then it's possible the CB has tripped and requires resetting.

The circuit breaker can be found here under the dash to the right of the steering column:

30acblocation_zpsefe51a3d.jpg

and looks like this when removed:

30acb_zps144fdd8a.jpg

To reset the breaker just push something down inside the hole you can see in the middle of the above photo and the breaker should click, this means it's reset. Pop it back in it's socket and all should be good again. If the breaker trips again after resetting then it's likely you have a short circuit in either the central locking or power window circuits.