price for gearbox build.

scot-ish

Member +
anyone had a full rebuild, how much was it?

i have a spare box that jumps out of fifth, but now my new car, synchro in 3rd is heading out, i need to double clutch to avoid crunching, up and down shifting, and its annoying to say the least.

so ideally, a new rebuilt box, and my diff fitted in the new box aswell.

cheers

sanchez

Member +
not sure how much it is mate, but i think its expensive.

Nutta has a rebuilt one for sale i think, and lee has a rebuilt one with lsd, not sure if he still selling it though...

sanchez

Member +
leeyky or something is his username or something like that, can never remember it.
It idrees old setup with quife lsd

dac69er

Super Moderator
wont be cheap. £300+vat is about what you would pay for a basic overhaul. if its jumping ut of 5th and has other problems then the costs can increase depending on what parts are needed!

Ted

Member +
get all your syncros changed and the rest of it checked while open. be about 350 quid. better than spending 250 on another that might be dodgy too. 3rd gear syncro is most likely to go. by the way i used to own this car! totally standard back then.

dac69er

Super Moderator
get all your syncros changed and the rest of it checked while open. be about 350 quid. better than spending 250 on another that might be dodgy too. 3rd gear syncro is most likely to go. by the way i used to own this car! totally standard back then.

slight thread hijack.

ted, would it be worth me replacing the synchros on my 4wd gearbox? im getting it overhauled as it has a nousy bearing, but the box changes gear nicely and has no other problems.dont want to waste any money i dont have too!

Ted

Member +
slight thread hijack.

ted, would it be worth me replacing the synchros on my 4wd gearbox? im getting it overhauled as it has a nousy bearing, but the box changes gear nicely and has no other problems.dont want to waste any money i dont have too!

sure its the box? def worth replacing syncros if youre opening the box, certainly 2nd,third and 4th. think they are 20 quid each from toyota. i also put in the gt 1st gear to even the ratios up, it all fitted no problem, thats when i knew the 4wd box was built to gt spec.

scot-ish

Member +
aye ted, pete said you had her a whle back, strangely enough, we were talking about how the 4wd box was same spec as gt, as you'd tested them. an some1 else asking aswell lol.

nutta, will get onto you tomorow, as im gunna give the clutch a bleed, and a look around, launch a few times and see how i get on, if its not good, i will be havng that box.

cheers for the replies folks.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Price depends on a few things, if you hand them the box or want them to remove and refit it for ya.

I've a fella over here does mine fairly often, if you hand him the box and supply your own parts its £150 for serviceable parts, anything extra like changing ratios can be extra.

Fizturbo

Member +
My gearbox blew (3rd 4th and 5th) gear as i was changin from 2nd to 3rd gear,i bought two replacement gear boxs (£250 each) and they both had 2nd gear crunch problem so i return both of them for refund,then decided to have my own box rebuilt which costs me (£350 cash) includin parts and labour,its gona be two years soon and have no issues.

Now i need a LSD box to handle the power am runin for better grip lol

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
It always surprises me how many people bin old gearboxes. It's cheaper in the long run in my opinoin to rebuild your own box, then you know you have fresh syncros with many 1000s of miles trouble free driving instead of risking an un known box.

The last box I bought as supposidly only needing 2nd gear syncro replaced, needed 2nd and 3rd, 2 CV seals and 3rd gear cog itself was very very badly damaged with chips.

scot-ish

Member +
yeh, i have a spare box, as i needed my car, so got a cheap one to solve quickly.

im still unsure on whats happening, if i shift more or less on the redline, then there is a crunch, thats if i shift fast, but f i leave it just a split second, and shift, its fine, so to me its wierd, like there is a slight delay on the clutch or something.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
yeh, i have a spare box, as i needed my car, so got a cheap one to solve quickly.

im still unsure on whats happening, if i shift more or less on the redline, then there is a crunch, thats if i shift fast, but f i leave it just a split second, and shift, its fine, so to me its wierd, like there is a slight delay on the clutch or something.

Thats a syncro on its way out. A syncro acts like a sort of brake inside the box, it slows the cogs down so it can slot in easier, when they wear down it takes them longer to slow the cogs down, thats why if you delay the shift it goes in no prob cause theres more time to slow down the internals, also why higher revs show the fault cause with higher revs the syncro will have to work harder cause everything is rotating faster.

Thats a very simple explination but hopefully it helps.

scot-ish

Member +
thought it would be the synchro at first.

cheers for that, looks like i will be having a new box done.

cheers.

Fizturbo

Member +
Av had my MR2 lsd gearbox stripd twice regardin lsd plates friction but had no crunch problem at all,now aftr 2 yrs from rebuild from cold start when drivin the 2nd gear sligtly crunch an sumtimes may be 3rd but not all the time,after couple of miles of drivin i don't get no crunch :confused: is it cause the oil has warm up?
Also usin Redline MT-90 oil.

Rory

Lifer
You have went the wrong way Spuddy.
Syncros dont slow anything down, they along with the syncro hub speed up the next gears, syncro and hub so it flows into gear smoother..
If it slowed things down it would give off a hell of a crunch at high rpm.

Thats a syncro on its way out. A syncro acts like a sort of brake inside the box, it slows the cogs down so it can slot in easier, when they wear down it takes them longer to slow the cogs down, thats why if you delay the shift it goes in no prob cause theres more time to slow down the internals, also why higher revs show the fault cause with higher revs the syncro will have to work harder cause everything is rotating faster.

Thats a very simple explination but hopefully it helps.

But if its crunching badly then i would expect the gear to be replaced aswell, i could almost garantee it will need done.
The syncros and hubs are the cheap part, its the gears that cost money, plus the labour.

Off the top of my head, the last time i had my box done, i had 2,3 and 4 syncros and hubs replaced and 3rd gear aswell, was around £200-250 (if memory serves me well)