Questions for people that have done engine swaps (legally)

Gee

Member +
Hey guys,

I'm after some advice from people that have done engine swaps and declared them and done the whole legal thing.

I am going from 1600cc (B16B) to 1800cc (B18C) and will be declaring the swap and doing everything legally.

My insurance company really don't mind modifications..they quote me on power increase not modifications :rockon: So, not worried about that aspect.

However, once the swap has been done:

How do I go about updating my V5 so that is shows as 1800cc?

I guess my tax band then changes?

What happens come MOT time? The EK9 is already an import on a 98 plate, does it have a full UK standard MOT because of the year or is it fast idle because it is an import and there is no UK equivalent (engine wise).

The B18C is the JDM engine which has a few minor differences to the UK spec engine you get in the UKDM Integra, but is still a different engine code. So hopefully when I got JDM B18C, it will just be a fast idle as it should not be on their data base?

( Last two questions I should really ask on EK9.org but I've posted here just in case! :D )

Cheers!

Idrees

Banned
Have a look at your logbook. I'm pretty sure there is a section on there that gives you space to enter any change details, such as new engine code etc.

Enzo

Member +
sorry i cant give advice on this G
into the hondas though, why that swap?

have you exhuasted all your options,
seams alot of hastle for an extra 15 ponys does it not. or do you have other plans?

a boosted b16b would be hella fun?

cantbassed

Member +
theres a section on the v5 which you send back to declare a new engine. as for engine numbers, my v5 says "unknown" but still declared as a 1800cc. i thought you was going down the k20 route? b18c all the way though!

btw is your insurance company brentacre?

Gee

Member +
Enzo - I have done a lot of research mate and the way the B16B performs compared to the B18C is so different.

More power/torque through all of the rev range, better topend etc etc. The difference really is more than it seems on paper.

Oh and the engine drops straight in mate, same engine mounts and everything. The B16B is just a de-stroked B18C.

For the price of the conversion (part exchanging my existing engine) it works out more cost effective that trying to tune the B16B. Parts are expensive and it will never perform as it would with the extra 200cc.

cantbassed - Looked into the K20 conversion some more. Yes, it would be my ideal engine. The K20 is one of the most advanced 2.0 engines out there, but the price of the conversion is too much to justify.

Enzo

Member +
sounds. yea it would basicaly be a straight swap as both engines are sort after,

what about a B20 hybrid?

Gee

Member +
Funny you should mention the B20.

Was offered one today by my tuner but to be honest I just want to keep things simple this time round.

Rory

Lifer
The DVLA will be your best bet on how to change things around.

As for the emmisions, it doesnt matter on what engine, it will go with your chassis code as normal.

and yes, you tax band will change. Obviously more.

sanchez

Member +
do a k20 conversion haha
expenise i know but fook me will it fly!!
my mate has a k20 crx and it pisses all over my mates 280 bhp pulsar and my other mates rx7 :haha:

and as for changed details bout engine its not alot of bother, my mate has done it twice with his hondas

L

lukey5e

is that the engine from the eg9 that your thinking of changing or sir 2

cantbassed

Member +
also with the b18, iv just got mine a 4-1 mani, a proper de-cat and my old hks f-con put on and it with a little map and it made 213bhp and a 147 lb-ft not much more to go really n/a apart from cams and inlet. but im looking a super charger :D

cantbassed

Member +
is that the engine from the eg9 that your thinking of changing or sir 2

what engine you on about?

k20 isout of newer civic type r's fn2 etc etc
b16b is out of civic type r (ek9)
b16a is out of the eg sir civic
b20 is a cross between crv bottom end with either b16-b18 top
b18c is the jdm itr engine
b18c5 is the uk itr engine
and the b18c4 is th civic 5 door mb6 engine.

gee is on about having the b18c jdm itr engine ;)

i hope thats right otherwise i will look silly

andyglanzav

Member +
what engine you on about?

k20 isout of newer civic type r's fn2 etc etc
b16b is out of civic type r (ek9)
b16a is out of the eg sir civic
b20 is a cross between crv bottom end with either b16-b18 top
b18c is the jdm itr engine
b18c5 is the uk itr engine
and the b18c4 is th civic 5 door mb6 engine.

gee is on about having the b18c jdm itr engine ;)

i hope thats right otherwise i will look silly

thought the jdm itr was B18c1
and the uk version was B18c4, am open to correction on that tho!

when doing the conversion if your rebuilding the engine or changing belts/pumps/gaskets etc get a spoon or similar head gasket, they're slightly thinner, which lowers compression and increases the torque a noticeable amount, somethin which the oul vtecs dont have too much of!

i only know of 1 B16b ctr out of all my mates, yet i know of 4 of them with B18c's!

Last edited:

cantbassed

Member +
well on my engine i have b18c and its the jdm engine. my mate has a eg civic with a itr teg engine and it has b18c5 engraved on. if someone wanted a boosted b18 the best one is the b18c4 out of the mb6. the itr engines from what iv hear are a little weak for the best gains which you could have!