radiator cap problems

Jeffers_21

Member +
i got a new ali dual core rad as my old one burst open the other day. the ali rad is alot more chunky than the std one and i cant get the rad cap on propaly. i had to resort to bending the cap bits out a bit. but i still cant do the cap up all the way which is making it loose presure and makes the system start to boil (like ive got a constant airlock that wont clear)

has anyone had problems with their ali rads if so what did you do to sort it? ive got a trd cap just for refrance

dac69er

Super Moderator
thats what i was thinking. you probably need the different type of rad cap. i believe its the type the MR2s and GT4s have!

monka

Member +
what do you mean its boiling?

as in the temperature gauge gets really high, or when left running for a short with the rad cap off it starts to bubble out?

if its bubbling out and the temperature is normal you have bigger problems mate

Jeffers_21

Member +
temp dose go up mate. well actually it farts about just like it has an airlock. the heaters will be nice and hot then go cold really quick then instantly get hot again. im thinking its to do with the cap (which as it dosent fit and steams out of it) but there might be a small hole somewhere else, although its not leaking anywhere, its not wet in the car, and there isnt any smoke coming out of the rear or any water mixed with the oil. everything else on the car seams to be running really well apart from the cap.

but if anyones got any other ideas it would be cool to check :)

as for the s type cap where can i get one from?

Jeffers_21

Member +
ok i got an s type rad cap (which was dam hard to get hold of one on the isle of wight) and that dosent fit.

has anyone else got a ali dual core rad off of jithk on ebay? he does a few things for starlets on there