Radiator fan issues

JamesG_GlanzaV

Member +
Hi chaps,

Started my glanza up for the first time in a while last week and I seem to have developed a bizzare issue with the radiator fan.

The fan is on constantly when the engine is cold even with just the ignition on. I have ran the car up to temp and at 93 degrees the fan shuts off before coming back on when the coolant drops to around 85 degrees. Its as if the circuit is running in reverse opposite to what it should be doing.

So far ive changed the radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing, the thermostat itself, the rad fan fuse and the rad fan relay in the fusebox.

All to no avail. Im a bit baffled by it now, never had any issues beforehand and fan always kicked in when it should.

Anyone got any idea what could be going on?

Thanks

SKINY

Lifer
Mine runs all the time because I've the air con system removed, from memory Jay put or checked a wee jumper wire on my GT on the 4 pin plug for the aircon

Another thing to note, the fan shuts off as soon as I disconnect the plug on the radiator fan switch.
it is possible that you have the wrong radiator fan switch??...mine is green on the glanza

again, going from very long term memory here, but i recall buying a white one from a general parts place and having similar issues to you---like the fan was working in reverse

i had to get the genuine switch from the dealer---as that was the only place i could find it at the time----hopefully you have more places at your disposal

do you have your old fan switch? if so, check the color----you may have found your problem

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Yes, there's a similar thing happens if you use the wrong coolant temp switch too (or the old one goes faulty).

Check the parts catalogue with your chassis number in case that helps explain matters.

Whenever you disconnect the fan switch the fan should switch on as a safety feature so something is definitely amiss James.

Yes, there's a similar thing happens if you use the wrong coolant temp switch too (or the old one goes faulty).

Check the parts catalogue with your chassis number in case that helps explain matters.

Whenever you disconnect the fan switch the fan should switch on as a safety feature so something is definitely amiss James.
when the other grayish triangular 3 wire switch/sensor went bad on my glanza, the dashboard cluster temperature gauge read incorrectly
when i forgot to connect the clip to it on another occasion, the car refused to start ...those are my two encounters with that particular switch

i suspect his issue is with the wrong/white fan switch as mentioned above...and based on his picture

i did a search on toyodiy using my glanza's chassis number...and found that part number...JamesG can double check for himself

JamesG_GlanzaV

Member +
it is possible that you have the wrong radiator fan switch??...mine is green on the glanza

again, going from very long term memory here, but i recall buying a white one from a general parts place and having similar issues to you---like the fan was working in reverse

i had to get the genuine switch from the dealer---as that was the only place i could find it at the time----hopefully you have more places at your disposal

do you have your old fan switch? if so, check the color----you may have found your problem

Thanks for advice chaps.

Your right, there is two different types of fan switch.

I originally bought the one listed for a glanza with the green plug but soon realised mine has a white/grey plug. The green plug would not actually plug into the connector on my loom at all as it is a slightly different shape.

It must just be the 98 spec glanza's that use the one with a green plug and have the 3 pin coolant temp sensor with dash temp gauge all on the same connector.

Screenshot_20230211-104944_Gallery[1].jpg

I then sent that one back and got the correct white/grey one and that plugged in fine but hasnt made any difference to the issue.

Screenshot_20230211-105001_Gallery[1].jpg

I have also tried changing the other 2 pin coolant temp sensor but this hasnt helped either unfortunatly, I believe something has gone wrong in the fan switch circuit itself causing it to run in reverse and do the opposite of what its supposed to do.

Ive run out of patience chasing this issue atm, so going to wire in a seperate fan controller relay to solve it. I may come back to it at a later date but for now just want the fan working when it should again.

Last edited:
yeah, my glanza is a 1998 model so maybe that explains the difference in fan switch that you pointed out.

you can always get the circuit/wiring tested

questions
- did you get the replacement fan switch directly from toyota?---sometimes aftermarket stuff don't work correctly
- also, do you have a friend close by that you can borrow their fan switch (same as yours)?---or maybe a member/Jay has a genuine one laying around that they could send you to try?

JamesG_GlanzaV

Member +
yeah, my glanza is a 1998 model so maybe that explains the difference in fan switch that you pointed out.

you can always get the circuit/wiring tested

questions
- did you get the replacement fan switch directly from toyota?---sometimes aftermarket stuff don't work correctly
- also, do you have a friend close by that you can borrow their fan switch (same as yours)?---or maybe a member/Jay has a genuine one laying around that they could send you to try?
No its not a genuine switch, purchased it from id workz. Couldn't seem to find the fan switch sensor part number on any parts diagrams, will have another look.

Dont really know anyone local, but would happily try if anyone has one lying around. Just cant help thinking its something to do with the circuit/wiring rather than the switch itself now.