Rear Caliper Sticking

biscuit

Member +
I need a 1996 EP91 Glanza V (with ABS) rear near side caliper as mine keeps sticking on, I have cleaned it up, but still sticks.

What's best to do, buy a caliper or get a rebuild kit and get my mechanic friend to rebuild both rear calipers.

dac69er

Super Moderator
as the majority of rear calipers are a bit sticky then i would just get yours reconditioned with a rebuild kit if you can. cheaper in the long run and you know they should last ages. have you checked its definitely the caliper and not the handbrake cables sticking?

biscuit

Member +
I can wind the piston in and out with needle noses, I have greased the sliders/pads etc - one pad is flat as a pancake, the other is fine. The handbrake operates fine, when I wind the piston in, re-fit then start the car and press the pedal, turn the car off, the wheel is pretty solid

I know the handbrake froze over Xmas, but it has been fine since. I am not sure, but I need to get it sorted as I need the car daily :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like its not too past it then. just a case of stripping, cleaning rebuilding with new seals etc and then reassembling with a decent bit of grease and a set of new pads. adjust the handbrake up once it has all been done and it should be fine as long as the cables arent knackered

biscuit

Member +
What do you think a caliper would cost? eBay they seem to vary from £40-70, but TM-Dev rebuild seals etc is £58, so I figure might as well rebuild both rears and then they'll be like new?

Jay

Admin
Sounds like the main piston is sticking in the caliper from what you are saying. A new caliper from Toyota is £200-ish, a piston is around £50 and the reseal kit is around £40 from what I remember. Compare that to a used caliper for around £40/50 and you might gamble on it being the best bet, but it is a bet.

biscuit

Member +
Yeah, the piston won't retract fully back into the caliper - Where can I get a piston from (assume I only need the one as it's only 1 that is sticking), then just rebuild both calipers and fit new pads.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its unlikely there is actually anything wrong with the piston unless water has got in past the seals. tbh i reckon just a complete strip and rebuild of both calipers will do the trick. did it to mine and the calipers work like new