Rear main seal area heavy leak

P668

Fresh Recruit
Hi there this is my first post.Picked up a starlet last week had a new clutch fitted and rear main seal fitted.After it was all put back together it then developed a substantial leak which afterwards I was informed it would be due to not being a genuine Toyota rear main seal.I then picked up a genuine seal then had that fitted but it's still pissing oil.Is there any other common faults or things to look out for as I'm not doing the work myself the garage is.This is now my daily and due to the leak I don't really want to be using it so any help would be appreciated.Cheers

Jay

Admin
Welcome to TGTT.

The rear seal is a common enough leak on the 4E so I've seen a few.

If the genuine one isn't sealing you could have some damage to the surfaces it rests against (seal housing or crank) or it may not be installed 100% flat. Hard to say without seeing it.

Also make sure they are using thread lock on the flywheel bolts - Oil can pass up the threads.

P668

Fresh Recruit
Cheers for the reply when you say damage what is it I should be looking out for ? Uneven surfaces or marks in the metal ?

Jay

Admin
Any I've encountered personally have been marked by removal attempt (screwdriver usually). The aluminium housing is easy marked tbh.

SKINY

Lifer
Welcome along :)
Yea keep the screwdriver away from it and use a proper seal picker to remove them

dac69er

Super Moderator
As above, check where the seal fits and clean them up if they have any score marks from monkeys who have used screwdrivers in an abusive manner to remove the seal.

Also ensure you lube the seal before fitting as they can burn the seal lip easily if you don't.

Another big one I have had issues with before is ensuring the flywheel bolts are sufficiently locktighted to stop oil making it's way up the threads.

P668

Fresh Recruit
Some very helpful info there thanks.Managed to squeeze it in tomorrow with tunning developments so fingers crossed there able to get to the bottom of it.Atleast I know it'll be in safe hands.

Reactions: Jay