reasons for losing coolant

alexgt

Member +
Hi guys and gals

i have a 1994 gt its done 66000km

i changed coolant 3 weeks ago toyota pink as well as the oil and filter filled both while the car was cold to the max lines.

anyway so i check it yesterday oil is fine nice and golden very clean still

check coolant level down to the min line now my first thought was head gasket:mad: so took it to garage today had the cooling system presure tested for over an hour not one leaks found there is no gunk on the oil cap or rad cap the ticks over nicely no hunting at idle there is no water or white smoke from the exhaust even the guys at he garage were scratching there heads.

one said it might be that the rad cap is not holding presure and is coming out of there as steam like a kettle you boil it to many times and it will boil dry the only other thing would be to take the head of and see if it is the gasket but dont want to do that if they can help it.

thoughts any1 rep added for helpful advise/thoughts

cheers

Alex :)

Decep82

Member +
i think wen u flushed the system out there was air left in the system so wen u drove the car the stat opened and ur cooland level dropped a bit

alexgt

Member +
its lost alot of coolant mate i have topped it up over the last few weeks aswell and is back down to the min line.

Paddy

Lifer
mine does this to, cant see a leak and no smoke or anything, aslong as its not causing a problem then just keep an eye on it

alexgt

Member +
going to have sniffer test done to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant what is the most effective way to test for heasgasket??