Replacing a piston

Sirius75

Member +
Hello all
I am looking at replacing one of my pistons due to the little end going in one of them.
Would I be able to do this without getting the clylinder rebored and cross hatched etc?
Thanks
Jamie

Mikey4410

Member +
Heya mate.i think ideally u would need to remove block get them all honed and all new piston rings ön all 4 cylinders.only because you might not get equal pressures ön all 4 cylinders and this is quite important.

i would wait and see what other more experienced people say also.

Sirius75

Member +
3 ofmy cylinders all have good compression. If you look at my previous threads it will show you the compression test I did. Would link to it but I'm on my phone at work. But the piston that the little end has gone on. Is the one that had the lowest and was hoping to just stick a mew one in as all the others are fine!

Mikey4410

Member +
Yes i understand you but im gettin at if theres them 3 that have been in there for x amount of miles through however much wear and tear ,would the new piston be the same compression as the others,i am unsure,but like i said wait 4 other more experienced people to comment! Regards

affy

Lifer
Hello all
I am looking at replacing one of my pistons due to the little end going in one of them.
Would I be able to do this without getting the clylinder rebored and cross hatched etc?
Thanks
Jamie

i'd take the whole piston out with the rod and check it for further damage, also then you can see the crank for damage, i replaced my number 4 piston while back, since i removed the head i checked all four conditions, (but your compression seems ok on the other 3) if anything is being removed then you might as well check everything over :)

i'm not amongst the high knowledge or expreienced users but hope this helps and makes sense :)

affy

Sirius75

Member +
My main concern is putting in a new piston without getting that cylinder rebored. Honed etc. Will it bed in properly if I don't do that? Once I know that then I will know to go ahead with it or not. As my car is my daily driver and I can't go without it as I need it for work! That's my only problem

sam_glanz

Member +
It depends on the clearance that your left with between piston and bore wall, as it may be differant size, it needs to be right, or your going to get piston slap or if to tight I would think it would damage the rings a cause smoking, I would get your new piston, remove the rest of them, get them all measured by by an engineer, and see if it's size differs from the rest, if ok, get new piston rings, get the bores honed to bed the new rings in and bolt it back together, just my 2p

Mikey4410

Member +
X2 I agree with the above. Get it checked over properly then go from there. @ best might well be just new rings all round along with the new piston.good luck with it dude