SAFC Installation (wiring)

benGT

Member +
Can any body help me with this? I've done a search (old and new) and cant find anything definitive about which wires to use and where.

I've got the Apexi supplied wiring diagram which shows which ECU pins to tap into but I cant find which SAFC wires to use to do this! I've found different websites and instructions quoting using various colour wires.....

Basically, I know which wires are ground I just need to know the signal wire colours.

Help please!

:)

seed

Member +
Here;

DSC00184.jpg

benGT

Member +
Cheers Syd, but I need to know which wires to use from the SAFC.....anyone?

Also, that pinout is different from the one I have?!

benGT

Member +
Thanks for that SX (didnt find that in my search!) but it still dosnt indicate which wires to use from the SAFC....

So far, I'm assuming the wires are as follows:

RED - power
BLACK/BROWN - Ground
GREEN - RPM signal
YELLOW - Airflow Output
WHITE - Airflow Input
BLUE - Throttle Position?

Hold on, I think I have it....i've been getting confused with the additional PINK and ORANGE wires from the SAFC but I believe these are for Karman type sensors so I can disregard those now......phew, hard work this! :p

sx_turbo

Lifer
i forgot to add, DO NOT use the throttle position sensor, it wont work on the starlet.

also you can use either of the 2 rpm sensors, it doesnt matter which.

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Excellent info this, saves me asking in a few weeks when i wire up my SAFC2.

Bookmarked on favourites for future reference :D

Cheers

benGT

Member +
Ok, so I think I have created the ultimate wiring diagram for wiring an EP82 with SAFC and FCD. Please can anybody who has done this before have a look over it and confirm that it is correct. Thanks

Please note, I have not tested this yet!

SAFCFCDWiringDiagram-1.jpg

Last edited:

Pumba_GT

Member +
Hi Ben:

Looking for bigger power ya? Nice mods you have there condering that it was standard during the HJC local meet back in August. About the wiring diagram, there is a pdf diagram sketch in the Apexi website regarding the SAFC and SAFCII. Have you look at that yet?

benGT

Member +
ok so i've changed my mind about which way round the SFC and FCD should be installed. I now have the diagram showing the SAFC wired BEFORE the FCD as in my eyes it should be the SAFC that is receiving the correct air flow reading - not that it really matters as the FCD will just clamp it when it gets near 5 volts anyway.....effectively undoing any work the SAFC has done! I dont get it.....what's the point?!!

stuart

Member +
Just looking at this diagram, going to wire in my safc2 this afternoon, I have a grey wire though?? Could this be the throttle sensor?

benGT

Member +
if I remember correctly there is also orange and another colour. These are used for Karman setup or hotwire setup. (i.e. not needed for Starlets)

To confirm this you'll have to double check the install manual......

Seanmcn

Member +
I also have the SAFCII but im a bit afraid to wire it in.

How will I know what settings to use?

Let me know how hard it is to install. Thanks

stuart

Member +
I've wired it in this evening, took around an hour or so, i'm a little worried about my jam fcc tho!

goldenvtr

Member +
ive ran a safc2 and fcd for years on my old setup, cant remeber which way round it goes but the FCD will only work in a certain order lol

benGT

Member +
I also have the SAFCII but im a bit afraid to wire it in.

How will I know what settings to use?

Let me know how hard it is to install. Thanks

That's where the User Manual comes into it! It's all detailed in there - It's been awhile since I set one up so I wont start reeling off settings, in case they're wrong! Basically you will need to initialise the unit, then configure it for the engine (4 pot etc). Once this is done, you should be able to run the car without any correction.....

stuart

Member +
I wired mine in, intialized it, set it for 4 cylinder engine, now just leaving it on monitor till I go visit Nick Jones for him to set it up. :)