selective 1.5 way- 2 way diff

RGM1800

Member +
any one encountered this type of diff? i heard trd have made one of these. anyone knows on how to adjust or select locking. thanks rep

J25GTi

Lifer
any one encountered this type of diff? i heard trd have made one of these. anyone knows on how to adjust or select locking. thanks rep

As far as I know there is plates you adjust the suit what you want. So its a gearbox out job if u want to swap it over

hardcoreep

Member +
Cuzco has what known as cam lock. There is a pin inside the unit that you can turn to select how you want the LSD to behave 1, 1.5 or 2. It was done to allow them to make one lsd for multiple applications and users the freedom to choose the setting that works best for them. This is different than preload or locking percentage, thats what the plates are for.

As for the plates, the are mated by their surface A-B-A-B (the plate number varies based on unit, but FF models usually have 4 each side). From factory they are normally 100% meaning any torque will cause them to lock instantly. You can take the plates out and arrange them like AABB (%50 in the case of our AE86 Kaaz). Meaning the lsd will not lock upon a specific torque amount allowing smooth turn in and no noise. You will have to find a guide or instructions from the manufacturer for your brand.

Cuzco has what known as cam lock. There is a pin inside the unit that you can turn to select how you want the LSD to behave 1, 1.5 or 2. It was done to allow them to make one lsd for multiple applications and users the freedom to choose the setting that works best for them. This is different than preload or locking percentage, thats what the plates are for.

As for the plates, the are mated by their surface A-B-A-B (the plate number varies based on unit, but FF models usually have 4 each side). From factory they are normally 100% meaning any torque will cause them to lock instantly. You can take the plates out and arrange them like AABB (%50 in the case of our AE86 Kaaz). Meaning the lsd will not lock upon a specific torque amount allowing smooth turn in and no noise. You will have to find a guide or instructions from the manufacturer for your brand.

Any idea where to get this information?

hardcoreep

Member +
I got mine from the Kaaz, the maker of the lsd I was using. We bought it new from the USA for an AE86. When we got the lsd it would make a loud banging noise. We thought it was broken, but when we called them to return it, they explained that it was just the plates due to the 100% locking position. We were told how to re-arrange the plates for different percentages. Currently its at 75% and noise free.

I got mine from the Kaaz, the maker of the lsd I was using. We bought it new from the USA for an AE86. When we got the lsd it would make a loud banging noise. We thought it was broken, but when we called them to return it, they explained that it was just the plates due to the 100% locking position. We were told how to re-arrange the plates for different percentages. Currently its at 75% and noise free.

Any idea ow you would go about contacting TRD to adjust one of their LSD's. I have one that was (supposedly) rebuilt as a 2-way but have no idea how to change it to 1.5 way

RGM1800

Member +
thanks for the awesome info hardcoreep

we had a tranny swap w/ my friend mos. ago. i swapped mine w/ a c56 lsd tranny. its a two way. but i dont know the brand brand coz we didnt open the box yet. two way is a pain in the ass to drive on auto x. im plannng to reconfigure it to 1.5 way. for now just gathering any infos on how to configure it. regardlarss of what brand. thanks

btw how can we adjust the cam selector? i think the trd and cusco selective diff have the same way on how to configure it

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
I've never had that type of lsd diff, so I cant tell you how. The most I've ever done is swap the plates. 2way horrible for FF car, spread the word, LOL!

RGM1800

Member +
I've never had that type of lsd diff, so I cant tell you how. The most I've ever done is swap the plates. 2way horrible for FF car, spread the word, LOL!

yeah its horrible. eats a lot of tires. twitchy on turns, but smooth and no torque steer on straight line.

bumblebee

Member +

hey, are you saying that the LSD for the AE86 with work in the EP?

i take it that its for the 4AGE? If so, which version?

Thanks