serious mis fire problems HELP please

gedis

Member +
lads i have ep91 glanza turbo here with serious misfire problem, if i put the foot down on the car she revs to about 4.5k and starts miss firing boost goes up to 0.6bar and stays steady at that, all when no load (parked up), there should be no boost without driving in the first place. same thing while driving, went thru 2 brand new set of plugs, full ignition set up of another perfectly working car: performance leads, distributor, rotor arm, dizzy cap, igniter, coil all nearly new(about 1000 miles on it and working perfect on another high spec car) and still the same, tried two different map sensors and standard ecus and still no good, car is pretty much standard: ct9, standard mani, standard actuator, top mount inter cooler, only mod it has its downpipe/decat, and hi low solenoid removed. running out of options here. No error codes on the ecu
anyone have any ideas?

Arnold

Lifer
If you put the low/high solinoid back, do you get any problems? Sounds like your hitting fuel cut

dac69er

Super Moderator
If you put the low/high solinoid back, do you get any problems? Sounds like your hitting fuel cut

fuel cut while parked up would be impressive!!!!!

is your ignition timing ok? is it perfectly fine below that rpm? is it worse on boost or does that make no difference?
do you have any electronic doodahs wired in anywhere hat you don't know about? has it suddenly happened or has it been slowly getting worse?

if all that checks out I would be suspecting a fuel issue. either blocked filter or pump on its way out would be the most likely culprits.

gedis

Member +
fuel cut while parked up would be impressive!!!!!

is your ignition timing ok? is it perfectly fine below that rpm? is it worse on boost or does that make no difference?
do you have any electronic doodahs wired in anywhere hat you don't know about? has it suddenly happened or has it been slowly getting worse?

if all that checks out I would be suspecting a fuel issue. either blocked filter or pump on its way out would be the most likely culprits.

car came in that way for repairs, no gadgets on it, just plain ecu set up, no wires cut/spliced around ecu, i changed fuel filter to new one and still the same, also took out top mount intercooler and took it out for a spin as i though the boost could be the cause of it but even with no boost she does the same, what i noticed if i keep the foot very light(on parked up car) she will rev to rev limit but them drop back down to 4.5k and start missfiring

dac69er

Super Moderator
check the tps works and is adjusted correctly. fuel pump, or possibly a regulator issue would be the next place I would look.

weeJohn

Lifer
If its gone through plugs it sounds like its running very lean or firing way to early. Check the base timing, make sure it goes into diagnostic mode when you link TE1 and E1 before you set it.

5e colin

Member +
^^^^ i did , whats wrong with my reply boss ???????????????????

what i replyed causes misfire so he only has to look at gasket now !!!!!!! i had the same problem only it started at 3.5 +- and my gasked was fucked leaving water in mi cylinder

i think i have the thread off it up on ere or toc.irl ??? and the gasket was the problem

dac69er

Super Moderator
^^^^ i did , whats wrong with my reply boss ???????????????????

what i replyed causes misfire so he only has to look at gasket now !!!!!!! i had the same problem only it started at 3.5 +- and my gasked was fucked leaving water in mi cylinder

i think i have the thread off it up on ere or toc.irl ??? and the gasket was the problem

the first bit of your post he had already done. the headgasket was a fair point though.

5e colin

Member +
yes sorry when i usually reply i give the list off what could be , its a old habit to give them options , i will try leaving them out in future :) and norrow it down more

dac69er

Super Moderator
yes sorry when i usually reply i give the list off what could be , its a old habit to give them options , i will try leaving them out in future :) and norrow it down more

just saves repeat posts, thats all mate. another forum i am on crazes me as others dont read the previous posts and it ends up being lots of repeat replies that dont help anyone!!!

gedis

Member +
If its gone through plugs it sounds like its running very lean or firing way to early. Check the base timing, make sure it goes into diagnostic mode when you link TE1 and E1 before you set it.

first and second set of plugs perfect and new, changed them to eliminated bag plugs of the list, done it twice because had two sets(both were perfect coming out) diagnostics show no error codes, as for fueling i must get the battery for my wide band and check it, she could be running lean but definitely not rich as there's no smell of petrol and you cant see any smoke out of the exhaust at all even with the foot down

weeJohn

Lifer
first and second set of plugs perfect and new, changed them to eliminated bag plugs of the list, done it twice because had two sets(both were perfect coming out) diagnostics show no error codes, as for fueling i must get the battery for my wide band and check it, she could be running lean but definitely not rich as there's no smell of petrol and you cant see any smoke out of the exhaust at all even with the foot down

Ahh, I assumed you changed plugs as it was eroding them, my bad. Could be something simple like a bad map sensor, not faulty enough to show a fault but giving a bad reading back to the ecu.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Decat causing the wastegate penny to stay shut?
Would explain it holding boost.
Seen something similar before.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Decat causing the wastegate penny to stay shut?
Would explain it holding boost.
Seen something similar before.

he said it will do it while the car is stationary. he wouldnt be creating enough boost for the wastegate to be affecting anything

weeJohn

Lifer
Thinking more about what Johnny said there and it should not be making boost as you say it does when parked up. The wastegate button stuck, an actuator pressure line fault or a blockage in the exhaust could create enough back pressure for boost to build. Taking the actuator arm off the turbo would eliminate the button and show up an exhaust blockage, if it still makes boost then splitting the exhaust before the back box and then after the cat could narrow that down.

gedis

Member +
Thinking more about what Johnny said there and it should not be making boost as you say it does when parked up. The wastegate button stuck, an actuator pressure line fault or a blockage in the exhaust could create enough back pressure for boost to build. Taking the actuator arm off the turbo would eliminate the button and show up an exhaust blockage, if it still makes boost then splitting the exhaust before the back box and then after the cat could narrow that down.
i can see actuator arm moving as she reaches the boost, but I'm going to take it off anyway, also noticed lambda wire has been cut and different plug put on, without using outer wire shield that comes on the loom part of the lambda wire, if that's making any difference, also when doing diagnostics noticed that battery charge light flashes in line with engine management light, she has a decat that odd twin pipe one, maybe that's causing a problem?

weeJohn

Lifer
I wouldnt worry about the screen not being connected, it wont affect it that much as its earthed at the other end. The battery light is a very odd one, could be one of many wiring problems, but not sure if it would affect the engine operation.

I would disconnect the back box, see if it boosts then.