Sheds

Texx

Super Moderator
Bit of a random question, but has anyone got or had any experience with a Yardmaster metal shed?

russyb

Member +
do you mean simular to this ?
A101P_SP272_22_KG02Y.jpg

i had to build one of these yardmaster sheds a week ago it was like a giant meccano set and the instructions may as well not have been there as there shit !

Texx

Super Moderator
Yeah similar, though I'm looking at the 10'x7' (or there about) version.

I have read the numerous reviews from people saying that the instructions are useless, have also downloaded a copy and agree they do leave a lot to the imagination. The assembly isn't really my concern as I'm sure I can manage to overcome that, my main concern is with the rigidity of the thing. From what I can tell the side panels are 0.25mm thick and the roof panels 0.3mm thick, just sounds a little flimsy?

They are a bit flimsy but the base and the roof are rigid enough when assembled. I'd rather nail my bollocks to my knee than assemble another one though.

russyb

Member +
to be fair the roofs pretty solid as it has edging pieces etc to help with it rigidity of the thing, but the side panels are a different story theres no stiffner pieces to give it any rigidity just 2 screws at the top 2 into the base and 1 in the middle.
It needs some flat bar inside the shed on the side panels to help hold the thing together if you had the time you could make something to help with it but to be honest i didnt bother,
as the saying goes you get what you pay for and i was on a pretty tight budget as the mrs needs my brick build shed for a business venture so im now relegated to the tin one haha

russyb

Member +
They are a bit flimsy but the base and the roof are rigid enough when assembled. I'd rather nail my bollocks to my knee than assemble another one though.

i second that lol if you get one put aside at least a whole day to assemble it

Texx

Super Moderator
My plan would be to lay a concrete pad to give a good strong flooring and then lay a row of blocks for the shed to sit on, the height of the doorway is about level with my eyebrows. From what I've seen the sliding doors are made of old takeaway trays, so having to make a new door to fill the larger doorway would kill 2 birds with 1 stone anyway.

The main reason I want a metal shed is so I've got somewhere under cover to use a welder, don't really fancy welding away in a wooden shed. Decent metal sheds seem to go for good money, but the Yardmaster is less than £300 delivered. It's either make do with the rather concerningly cheap Yardmaster, or spend the extra and build a shed out of blocks.

Texx

Super Moderator
I did have the thought of building a skeleton frame inside the thing out of 2"x2" if it turned out to be a tad too wobbly.

russyb

Member +
dude if you only really wanna use it for welding in it will be fine,
but if your making the doorway bigger remember the corner panels hold the roof on so id leave them well alone.
but it u look at the pic the 2 panels either side of the doorway could easily be removed and the doorway made bigger and the runners for the door stretch the full length of the front of the shed bonus
i know your not getting the above shed but still gives you a good idea how its possible
hope this helps

Texx

Super Moderator
I wouldn't be widening the doorway, at 120cm it's more than wide enough, but if I raise the shed by at least 8.5" by sitting it on a row of blocks I'd want to leave a gap in the blocks to give an extra 8.5" at the bottom of the doorway. Then it would just be a matter of building a door frame and door to suit.

russyb

Member +
true but that would mean cutting away at the base at the doorway which would probably make the front a little to flimsy unless you was to fix it someway to your blocks for extra support ?

Texx

Super Moderator
I'd be fixing the shed to the blocks in as many places as possible, plus the new door frame would be made so to add some more strength.

russyb

Member +
sounds like you got it sorted dude, but beware wear gloves and allow a ton of hours building the f**king thing

Texx

Super Moderator
Can the shed be lifted and moved into position once assembled? As I'm not sure if I'll be able to assemble it in the exact location I want it to sit.