Should my cat over temp light come on if I've got a de-cat???

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
I've got an ep71 with the stock 2e-te motor. The previous owner has removed the cat and fitted a dump pipe with the Exhaust Gas Temp sensor plumbed into it. Should my cat over temp warning light be on all the time now with the extra flow going past it? Or does it mean the sensor is faulty? I tested it with a multimeter and got approx 400k ohms? Sound right?

Texx

Super Moderator
Disconnecting the temp. sensor connector should stop the warning light from coming on.

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
But don't i need it connected to make the car run right?? It doesn't seem to have an o2 sensor so I think it's relying on water temp and egt?

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm not too familiar with the 2E engine, but if your using a stock ECU and the EGT sensor has only a single wire, the ECU will not be taking any reading from it and so it will have no affect on the running of the engine if left disconnected.

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
nah the EGT sensor has 2 wires so im thinking the ECU gets something off it. Since getting the car back together it has been detonating when coming on boost. I thought it was the coolant temp sensor, but its tested fine. So then i went onto the EGT and found the the plug wasnt connecting properly. I fixed it and now this cat temp light is on all the time.
Its got me puzzled? i still dont feel like the car is running 100% right. Its still a bit hesitant pulling through to the redline under boost. 10psi